Alien Night Theme - A free Dark Theme for Discourse

When using the Alient Night theme and upgrading to a more recent Discourse release, I noticed the colors on the hamburger menu items was no longer visible.

Before upgrading, it was:

After upgrading, it was difficult to see use the menu:

1 Like

Thanks for the info @ryanerwin

I released a patch. Can you update and let me know if it worked please?
If you check the preview, it is looking good for me.

2 Likes

Hello @bubblecatcher

yes, sorry for that. I hard coded some colors in my theme, since I didn’t know better 2 years ago.
I will rework that part for sure to make it more user friendly. See below.

2 Likes

A note to everyone who is using my theme:

Hard times are going on for me right now. If all works out, I have much more time in about one month again.
Over the time Discourse implemented fundamental changes to themes and how you can make one.
I classify my theme for now as “legacy”, so I really want to rework this one completely or release a brand new one - to be announced.

5 Likes

Yes. That fixed it for me. Looks great!
Amazingly fast turnaround! Thanks!!!

BTW, I noticed that text boxes don’t seem to change color whether in dark mode or light mode
 The text boxes seem really bright in Dark mode

2 Likes

When the /unread page is empty, it displays an explanation in the education class. I think that it is not being switched properly, so it shows as the primary colour even in dark mode.

Maybe this is one of those changes that came more recently?

2 Likes

Hi there :wave:

Please don’t ask me where the last 2 years went. Can’t believe it took me so long, sorry!

But here it is, release 4.0.0.

Note : with the release 4.0.0 I redesigned/refactored the theme from ground up. It’s more contrast friendly, it uses CSS variables and is overall more slick.

Again, with a Dark/Light toggle implemented. This time, for now, with help of an external component ( Dark/Light Mode Toggle )

See it in action:

More impressions:

P.S.: @awesomerobot your Google Import setting is still there and hopefully nothing broken :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can’t add components to this theme anymore.
Works fine with any other, but not this one. I couldn’t before this update either for that matter.

Thanks for any help :blush:

1 Like

ho? Why that? Can you show a screenshot maybe?

It does not look like this for you?

1 Like

I manage to add the theme components after disable the theme and activated it again.
This is how it looked after I enabled the component

And now after only refreshing the page the hamburger menu disappeared.

I’ve tried to disable and re-enable the component but now I can’t add it to the theme. Am clicking the green button but nothing happens.

2 Likes

Thanks for the screenshots!
Hmm, the first one is saying there is a javascript error I guess. Tried few combinations myself and couldn’t reproduce it for now.
Best to wait until the Dark-Light Toggle component is updated I think.

2 Likes

They have now updated the component. But I don’t think that solved the issue for me at least.

1 Like

Thanks for the notice. Great it got updated :+1:

I updated my theme by removing my artificial sidebar to inject the component myself that way.
Please update your theme and install the component yourself to have a dark/light toggle
(couldn’t figure out yet how to pack theme components inside themes).

I don’t know if this will fix your issue. If not, there is something bigger wrong for you I think.

2 Likes

Discourse should be defaulted to this dark beautiful theme :star_struck:

2 Likes

How do I change the default font for this theme? I’m a newbie, please help me (for example, I want the default font to be Roboto - size 14)
Thanks !

2 Likes

You should follow this guide to change the font theme: https://meta.discourse.org/t/include-assets-e-g-images-fonts-in-themes-and-components/62459?u=twofoursixeight

1 Like