Allow /log links to be shared to non-admins

The /log interface has a Share button for log entries that generates a URL with a random-looking id.
Visiting these URLs still requires you to login as an admin, so they are currently only helpful to point other admins to specific items.

Can we lift this requirement? I think that would be quite helpful especially here for Meta, since it would allow users to easily share suspicious log entries here if they have a problem.

4 Likes

Why should it be lifted? What would a non-admin be able to do?

Never mind that cookies are shown in the admin logs, which are HIGHLY privileged, e.g. once you have a cookie you can log in as that person at will…

3 Likes

Also I am quite uneasy with people just using meta as a exception in the logs clipboard. They are often very hard to diagnose and can be a misconfiguration, network problem, hardware problem, disk space problem and so on.

I much prefer getting a report that tells me what went wrong, with an accompanying log, copying the text from the logs in such cases is a minor amount of effort compared to reproducing the issue

2 Likes

I agree! But since the data is divided into multiple tabs, these reports often provide only parts of the log entry. Maybe there is another way to encourage users to share all relevant parts of a log entry?