Allow moderators to create groups

Awesome update!

For an intranet, it would be amazing to streamline this so ANY user could create a Category and a group, and while doing so, be prompted to add people to the group who need access. Make it non-tech and a streamlined, very few click process.

1 Like

I donā€™t know whether itā€™s an issue or intended, but moderators canā€™t add or demote group owners. They can add group owners when they create the group, but then, once the group is created, itā€™s not possible anymore. It would seem logical to me, that if they can manage the group, they should also be able to decide who is managing the group (and they are able to add owners when creating the group, why not after).
We would like to avoid requesting the admins to do this.

Is there a way to make that possible?

As itā€™s said in the first post they should be able to do it, I suppose itā€™s an issue.

4 Likes

I believe this is an oversight, as moderators are able to assign group owners if they create a group, but not after. @jamie.wilson, thoughts?

4 Likes

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/10960

A moderator should now be able to manage group members.

8 Likes

With the new site setting, moderators can create and manage groups, but, if I am not mistaken, cannot delete groups. Is it by intent or an oversight? Would it be possible to give moderators the permission to delete groups?

Apologies I am not sure of the etiquette here of creating a new topic vs bumping up this old one. Please do split this thread if I have made the wrong call. :slight_smile:

Whilst I agree with this, we would like to do the opposite on our forum - allow the managing of groups but not categories. This I think is much less oddball.
So Iā€™d like to request that the two features be separately toggleable as I donā€™t really feel theyā€™re the same ā€˜level of permissionā€™. I appreciate weā€™re a niche caseā€¦

Itā€™s all good to bump this topic.

Can you explain in more detail why you would want them to create a group but not a category, given that the purpose of groups is to define permissions to categories?

What is it that you use groups for?

1 Like

The specific usecase here is for a group that is mainly used for @ ing the group members, and the members change fairly frequently (ā€œNew Membersā€) so it would be useful for mods to be able to rotate this.

But our use case and organisational structure is weird so I appreciate if it doesnā€™t really fit wider usage :stuck_out_tongue: