Add moderator for specific category or subcategory

(M Zain Damlag) #1

Hello All,

I wanna ask about how to make a moderator only for specific category or subcategory.

Thanks in advance.

(Non-technical User) #3

Wondering if this has been implemented? I have searched and also tried to edit a category to try give moderator privileges to an user but couldn’t find any way to do it.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #4

Not yet.

You can watch the #releases category for news.

(lokendra) #5

Hello,
Is there any idea when this feature will be launch ?

Please reply asap.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Not for a year or possibly multiple years.

Was this finally implemented? This is something too important for a community driven forum!

(Jeff Atwood) #8

You should use different free software if this is a requirement.

Discourse has many futures that make it superior to others software, and this particular functionality alone is not the reason to move a forum to another system. However, I see lots of requests for this feature. Therefore, it seems like the majority would like it to see it implemented.
I saw somewhere said it could take some $100k to achieve this, this is obviously the kind of money that not just anyone could afford. But we could collectively donate and make this happen. Like some go-fund me campaign or something. Just an idea.
I know this is free open source software, something we are getting for free. I am not demanding a particular feature, and I don’t believe anyone is. But I think we all together can make it happen.

Whoa this feature doesn’t exist?!?! Yikes. I just assumed it did.

What’s the bounty for this?

(Sam Saffron) #11

There is no bounty for this, it’s a gigantic feature that would incredibly expensive to implement.

(Stephen Chung) #12

I wonder why it is a gigantic task…

It is just admin access for some people right? Sure somebody is to go thru the code base and figure out whether it breaks anything, but I suppose the actual code changes should be few…

(Régis Hanol) #13

Are you offering to do it? :wink:

(Stephen Chung) #14

THE HORROR :scream: God forbid!

Okok, you got me. I agree. It is a gigantic job. :sweat_smile:

Ha ha! I suggested this a couple years ago for a specific use case that I’ve yet to fulfill (dream project).

To ask that the Discourse lads are able to whip this out of their butt is a far, far reach.

While I do have a very specific desirement to see this in action, I’m not going to hold my breath.

Iprobably my best choice if/when it happens; I’ll say that with no money on the table.

Discourse is great. Long live Discoursre!

Aloha,

Kim

We’re eventually going to have a very segmented audience on our forum, which is why I asked.

But ultimately, if you have a mod, you need to trust them everywhere, not just in their one area. So even if we’re crazy successful, I don’t see myself paying tons and tons of money for this. But I’d no doubt throw in.

But still, it seems like an oversight that will eventually need to be done if any Discourse site is going to be come a SERIOUS player. Dream big, folks!

(Sam Saffron) #17

@angus’s proposal / plugin for controlling moderator attention is the piece I see core adopting.

It is a smaller bit of work and something that should resolve the bulk of the request.

Having a ton of moderators you don’t trust on a forum is a toxic state to be in anyway.