Allow users to change "Activity Summary" frequency when clicking through from emails

Sorry for confusing y’all. I’ve held off updating recently, and my version doesn’t include the email. I like that addition.

I held off updating because I’m waiting to see if the “Activity Summary” is a workable alternative to the daily digest (mailing list). (Relevant thread starts here: "Daily updates" option for mailing list mode)

As part of my testing, I changed the frequency of the Activity Summary to daily on several Discourses I visit as a user. After a few weeks the rate was overwhelming for most of the forums I visit. I wanted to change the frequency of the activity summaries, but the “unsubscribe” link doesn’t offer a path to that. If my users were to experience the same overwhelm then I would lose them completely.

I understand the need for a simple UI. But I think that the original idea has merit.

For those users who want a decrease rather than a cessation of email, there should be a path from the email that triggers their feeling of overwhelm to a UI that resolves it without funneling all of them to the most drastic option available.

3 Likes