An interesting strategy for passing properties via raw template plugin outlets

A quick question on this.

I noticed something interesting in TLT:

There is no passing of the model here.

Yet you manage to do this:

I can only assume this is a stable strategy for passing down the model properties because it’s being employed here - any caveats?

One of the reasons I was finding these available plugin outlets less useful was because they don’t often explicitly pass down the relevant model.

Is this pattern documented anywhere? I haven’t seen it in the Ember guides …

3 Likes

The ‘raw’ system is a discourse-specific thing, so you won’t find anything about it in the Ember guides.

It looks like it’s pretty deliberate in the core code, so I think it’s safe to use it:

In fact, it doesn’t look like raw outlets have the ability to pass anything like the ‘args’ you find in regular plugin-outlets. So context is the only way to go.

Please do feel free to make core PRs if you feel any useful data is missing in regular plugin outlets. Adding new arguments to outlets is relatively safe, backwards compatible, and has negligable performance impact, so it’s unlikely we’ll refuse.

7 Likes

I’ve also struggled with passing arguments through to plugin outlets. My goal has been to put a plugin outlet on a page and have the outlet get access to all the information the other component references get on that page.

I tried this in a theme component I am coding:

{{~raw-plugin-outlet name="cool-outlet" args=(hash model=model)}}

But get the error: Compile Error: raw-plugin-outlet is not a helper

Anything else I need to do to get this working?

raw-plugin-outlet can only be used within ‘raw’ templates (those ending in .hbr). For regular ember templates, you should use {{plugin-outlet ...}}

1 Like

EDIT: I realized the below is probably better for its own topic. I also realized that the main issue I have is importing the actions of a component into a plugin outlet. I’ve asked a question about it here:

Is there a simpler/standard way to successfully pass arguments into a plugin outlet?

For example:

If in a template there is the following reference to the composer-action-title component, like this:
composer.hbs:

{{composer-action-title
       model=model
        openComposer=(action "openComposer")
        closeComposer=(action "closeComposer")
        canWhisper=canWhisper
        tabindex=8
  }}

and I wanted to add a plugin outlet that–in that plugin outlet–had the same code, like:

connectors/cool-outlet/cool-outlet.hbs:

{{composer-action-title
       model=model
        openComposer=(action "openComposer")
        closeComposer=(action "closeComposer")
        canWhisper=canWhisper
        tabindex=8
  }}

What do I need to do to allow my cool-outlet plugin outlet the ability to successfully reference the composer-action-title component?

Using a reference like:
{{plugin-outlet name="cool-outlet" args=(hash model=model)}}
in composer.hbs does not seem to work.