Annoying CSS issue with background image in my header

I don’t tell you guys how much I love Discourse enough. I love Discourse. Thank you for creating it, always making it better, and offering great support :slight_smile:

I added a background image, which I’m happy with. However, it’s behaving strangely in the header. When I scroll up to far you can see a second image poking it’s head out from behind, and just looking a little scrappy. Can anyone tell me how to fix this, I assume by removing it from the header section or something. Bear in mind I’m a luddite, so need some pretty clear instructions. Thanks!

@Johani can you log on to the site and see if you can help out here?

2 Likes

The issue you’re seeing occurs because you’ve set a background on the <html> tag and gave it a position manually with the background-position property.

In the background component there’s a rule that looks like this:

html {
  background-position: 50% 30px;
}

This centers the background horizontally and pushes it down by 30px vertically.

Since you didn’t set a background-repeat property, it defaults to repeat which means that when you push the background-image by 30px vertically, it will repeat itself in that space.

There are a couple of way to fix this, but I’ve opted for the simplest option.

I changed to background-position property in your theme from

html {
  background-position: 50% 30px;
}

to

html {
  background-position: center;
}

which should center the background and stop it from repeating and fix the issue on your site

6 Likes

Ah, I see. I thought it was something to do with the header section. That makes more sense.

Thanks @Johani!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.