Anonymous User Can't Be Created

Our Discourse install has the anonymous user feature enabled, but clicking it does nothing.

Looking in the logs, I can see:

ActiveRecord::RecordInvalid (Validation failed: Email is not allowed from that email provider. Please use another email address., Name can't be blank)

Now, this error would be okay if it weren’t for the anonymous user. We’re blocking all e-mails not from a specific domain and we’re requiring names.

Could it be possible to implement some sort of code that allows the Anonymous user to bypass e-mail and name checks?

are you disallowing signups from certain domains?

1 Like

We’re disallowing signups from all domains except for a handful.

(where example.com is the Discourse domain name)

Well then, that explains it, we may need to bypass here, emails on anon are of the form

056130de251a63d4bac3d6c85034afa0@d3fc952a1feaeb9cd14e241af49873dd.com

If the domain didn’t randomly change, it wouldn’t be a problem.

Is there any way I can fix this, or do I have to wait for this issue to be solved?

I support making all anons from example.com personally. That seems fine @sam

What about making anons use the same domain as the Discourse install?

1 Like

yeah that is a good suggestion, perhaps

anon.meta.discourse.org

Its a domain you have control over AND that will not clash with an existing valid one

its already using example.com it appears :slight_smile: so nothing really left to do, I think that is fine for now. @KazWolfe just whitelist example.com and you should be good

1 Like

this is now fixed:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/f180aba492f7263857a3efdf71c247bc721cf8d7

set allowed list to anon.YOURSITE.COM and anons will work.

3 Likes