So there’s currently some great documentation for Discourse:
- Relatively thorough installation guides on GitHub
- Some rudimentary troubleshooting tips on GitHub
- Developer guides on GitHub
- HOWTO category here on meta
- A massive slew of knowledge in the various categories on meta, that is maybe-searchable but that would have to be gleaned out.
The last item is what I’m thinking about. Is there any plan to synthesize some of the concepts and basics of Discourse into a general admin guide that ships with the software as part of the V1 release? For example, such documentation might include:
- Explanations of roles (moderator vs. admin), levels, and badges
- How things like categories, sub-categories, and uncategorized are designed to be used
- How pins work
- The ideas behind flagging and what happens when different options are chosen
- General guidance on UI customization
- Differences between new & unread, and the various colors & types of count badges
- Differences between and explanations of starred, watched, tracked, muted, etc.
- Other stuff that I surely can’t think off at the moment
Discourse is great software and I’d hate for people to be held back from implementing it because they can’t quickly/easily understand how it’s designed to work. Do others agree/disagree?