Auto-replace emoji like ☺ with Discourse codes

Okay I’ve added server side replacements for unicode emoji with our emoji sets.

Here’s a unicode bomb: :bomb:
This is a bom using our emoji picker: :bomb:

They should look the same!

6 Likes

What about this one? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

G​:tada::pizza::couple::dancing_women::ok_hand:t4:

What happens with skin tone? Let’s see

:+1::+1:t2::+1:t3::+1:t4::+1:t5::+1:t6:

Yeah we need to deal with this somehow

1 Like

Not good.

Looks OK in iOS

Yeah but we need to strip out the skin tone block unless we map it to a correct image.

Fixed now :slight_smile: I added a few extra unicode symbols for replacements which I think is fair. We can add more as we go on if we wish.

I’m not sure that’s the correct thing to do. I understand getting skin tones in would be a great feature to add, but it involves making sure all our emoji sets have them all and that’s more work than this feature needed. Adding extra code to remove the default handling seems odd to me.

Note those skin tone blocks that are showing up are what happened before I implemented this feature – that did not change.

1 Like

This one is a big buggy as well

:family_man_man_girl_boy:

should really be

which is in the emoji one set

2 Likes

Again I hate to say “not a bug” but that is using the zero width joiner code to create pairings.

Like the different skin tones, there is work to be done to ensure that all our emoji sets support it as a modifier so we can display the appropriate combinations. One cool thing about it is it seems to support same sex families!

2 Likes

Could I ask… What is the current status of this feature?

To me it looks like “modifiers” are still to be completed, but for the most part other unicode emoji are complete…

However - I’ve noted that the following character is not working (🙄):

:roll_eyes:

I believe it is a “face with rolling eyes” emoji or something like this: “:rolling_eyes:

Edit - ignore - it appears to work when posted.

4 Likes

Yeah, this is done, closing :slight_smile:

4 Likes