Automatically unlisting a topic after X days

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to automatically unlist topics X amount of days after the last post?

We run a for-sale category and it’d save an awful lot of housekeeping if we could automatically unlist (or worse case, delete) topics with no activity after 60 days.

Ideally, I need to apply this setting at category-level.

2 Likes

I believe that would require a plugin.

1 Like

Why unlist instead of close? There’s already support for auto-close on timers and after a long enough time with no replies.

2 Likes

My hope was to provide a cleaner “for sale” browsing experience for people dipping in that particular category.

I think if we only displayed topics which were likely to still be actively for sale it would make it easier to read and save a lot of “Is this still available?” type posts. Which 9 times out of 10 result in the OP replying “no” :man_facepalming:

Yup, I think this might the route we end up taking. People can simply scan down the list for unlocked topics and the locked ones would organically fall down the category on their own :+1:t2:

1 Like

I’ve got a cron job that automatically unlists closed topics in a specific category,

run:
  - exec: echo '* * * * * postgres /usr/bin/psql discourse -c "update topics set visible = FALSE where category_id = 19 and closed = TRUE;"' >> /etc/crontab

In my app.yml. Can combine that with auto close (We have it for auto close once a solution is selected)

4 Likes

Nice workaround @theblazehen :+1:t2: