AWS S3 subfolder support

First, I am looking to see if there are any existing solutions to allow discourse to use a subfolder within an S3 bucket instead of using the bucket root. I haven’t been able to find anything that would provide such a feature. The only thing I found was this post from 2014 that doesn’t have any reasonable suggestions.

Second, I wanted to see if anyone at Discourse is already working on subfolder support or if it’s on the official roadmap to be implemented. I checked the upcoming features, planned features, and requested features sections, but I couldn’t find anything relevant.

Finally, if there’s no good answers to the above inquiries, I’d like to discuss the possibility of discourse accepting a PR for subfolder support. I’ve read through the contributing guidelines and know I need to complete the CLA first, but I wanted to make sure that this feature would be accepted in a PR, assuming the code passes reviews. My company would really like this feature and we’re willing to develop it, but we’re not particularly interested in maintaining our own fork.

4 Likes

Sure, we’d happily merge a PR adding support for subfolder when using S3 :heart:

We haven’t done it yet because it was only brought up by our customers once (last week actually).

2 Likes

That’s great news! Appreciate the quick reply.

2 Likes

Was working on another feature and had to implement this. :slight_smile: Please try it out and report back if you find any :bug:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/aa5de3c40acebe3f3577a977cf57ed7630a4b740

6 Likes