Backup failed message doesn't mention specific error

I got an admin message saying that the backup had failed, but it only had a stack trace:

The backup has failed.

Here’s the log:

BackupRestore::BackupStore::StorageError
/var/www/discourse/lib/backup_restore/s3_backup_store.rb:84:in `rescue in unsorted_files'
/var/www/discourse/lib/backup_restore/s3_backup_store.rb:72:in `unsorted_files'
/var/www/discourse/lib/backup_restore/backup_store.rb:23:in `files'
/var/www/discourse/lib/backup_restore/backup_store.rb:28:in `latest_file'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/scheduled/schedule_backup.rb:12:in `execute'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:232:in `block (2 levels) in perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/rails_multisite-2.5.0/lib/rails_multisite/connection_management.rb:76:in `with_connection'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:221:in `block in perform'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:217:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:217:in `perform'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:279:in `perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/mini_scheduler-0.13.0/lib/mini_scheduler/manager.rb:93:in `process_queue'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/mini_scheduler-0.13.0/lib/mini_scheduler/manager.rb:37:in `block (2 levels) in initialize'

Only when I went to the backups tab and clicked on the link to /admin/backups.json did I see the problem:

{"errors":["The AWS Access Key Id you provided does not exist in our records."]}

It would be good if this was included in the message as well.

(Also, I didn’t get any notifications for this message - it’s been sending one a day for ages! Any ideas why? I can’t see where I could’ve muted the admin group.)

2 Likes

Any ideas if this can be improved @gerhard ?

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting those issues. I made a small adjustment to include the original error message.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/12257

This was caused by a bug.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/12255

3 Likes