Badge Discussion: Like Ratios + Spending Likes

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/20ce7f29e048f6c9ca4a6d2915f830ee7e24823a/config/site_settings.yml#L765-L781

Note the additional multipliers per trust level.

2 Likes

Thanks @DeanMarkTaylor!

Now that I have some numbers to work with…

@pfaffman pointed out that long-term members don’t need this kind of encouragement. I would disagree here. I feel it is just as important to keep your long term users engaged, happy, and participating as it is to train new users to use likes.

For new user through TL1, they need 50 likes in a day to receive this badge. That limit isn’t too high, but I feel that one is unlikely to hit it unless they really like giving likes, or a site is very, very active. I would assume that this like limit was was tweaked based on feedback back when it was first instituted, and thus is at a level where the majority of new users don’t hit it. Once a user is around for at least 15 days and has regular participation on the site, their limit goes up to 75. Be really, really active and hit 50 days and your limit goes up to 100 (assuming the multipliers are not cumulative). Get the manual promotion to TL4 and the limit is now 150.

150 is a lot of likes. At Stonehearth we average 100 posts a day. So while a new user would only need to like ~1/2 of the posts in a day to hit their limit, a long-term user would need to like every new post, plus half of the posts from the previous day. Unlike some badges with high numbers required to gain (like the Nice share/post/topic badge), this badge requires a single user to click like x times, and they have only 24 hours to do so. The other like related badges have no time limit.

td;dr: I am concerned about the difficulty for long-term users to achieve this badge, and it seems to be the only badge create thus far that is affected by a user’s trust level (although somewhat indirectly).

Agreed, on the team call today we decided to make the likes cast per day badge hard code to 50 rather than keying on the rate limit being hit.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @codinghorror! Will the badge description be changed at all to cover this, or will this be “transparently” occurring in the background?

I might disagree with you here…

We’ve had a surge of like spam once the badges were found out. Granted, we are only one forum.

3 Likes

I think it may be time for a few new categories on the Badges page… “Community” is getting pretty dang big.

6 Likes

Feel free to propose a new category there

Here’s my first pass at reallocating the badges to groups:

First Flag: Community -> Getting Started
Editor: Community -> Getting Started
Welcome: Community -> Likes
Appreciated, Out of Love, Thank You, Gives Back, My Cup Runneth Over, Respected, Admired, Crazy in Love, Empathetic: Community -> Likes
Nice, Good, Great Share: Community -> Promotion
Popular, Hot, Famous Link: Community -> Posting
Promoter, Campaigner, Champion: Community -> Promotion
Anniversary: Getting Started i suppose?

4 Likes

Tried to follow @riking’s post, had a hard time so I broke it up like the badges page. Here is what I got:

##Getting Started
Autobiographer - Bronze
First Like - Bronze
First Link - Bronze
First Quote - Bronze
First Share - Bronze
First Flag - Bronze
Read Guidelines - Bronze
Reader - Bronze
Editor - Bronze

##Community
1 year anniversary - Silver
Tech Support - Silver
Scribe - Gold
##Posting
Popular Link - Bronze
Nice Post - Bronze
Nice Topic - Bronze
Hot Link - Silver
Good Post - Silver
Good Topic - Silver
Famous Link - Gold
Great Post - Gold
Great Topic - Gold
##Trust Level
Basic - Bronze
Member - Bronze
Regular - Silver
Leader - Gold
##Testing
Bug Reporter - Bronze
Tester - Silver
Senior Tester - Silver
##Development
Contributor - Bronze
Great contributor - Silver
Plugin Author - Silver
Amazing contributor - Gold
##Likes
Welcome - Bronze
Appreciated - Bronze
Out of Love - Bronze
Thank You - Bronze
Respected - Silver
My Cup Runneth Over - Silver
Gives Back - Silver
Admired - Gold
Crazy in Love - Gold
Empathetic - Gold
##Promotion
Promoter - Bronze
Nice Share - Bronze
Campaigner - Silver
Good Share - Silver
Champion - Gold
Great Share - Gold

3 Likes

I wikified the above post if anyone wants to modify it further. I will say I am questioning why Welcome is in a separate category from First Like, seeing as the new like related badges are for both receiving and giving likes.

2 Likes

Note that these are custom badges on Meta only.

2 Likes

As are the testing and contributing categories:

1 Like

A quick question: Do moderators have unlimited :heart:s?

I’m a moderator and trust level 4 on forum.gethopscotch.com, and I’ve liked over 1,500 posts in that forum and still haven’t run out of likes. If this is the case, are some badges unreachable?

1 Like

There are admin settings that give TL2/TL3/TL4 additional likes per day by a specified factor. It’s not unlimited, but if that factor was really high it’s conceivable that you wouldn’t reach it.

e.g. for TL4:

tl4 additional likes per day multiplier is the name of the setting.

2 Likes

@kk091: Did you like over 1,500 likes in 24 hours, or in total? The like limit is per 24 hours. Also, for the purpose of these badges, the “exceeding like limit” badge is coded to the base like limit, and is not affected by the TL2/3/4 multiplier - otherwise the badge would be “biased” against higher TL users.

3 Likes

I am on the same forum as her and I believe I can answer this.

She liked well over 1,500 posts. I should know, I was one of the people she “spam liked”! :scream::smile:

Anyway, it was all today.

As for the other portion of your post, that’s really interesting! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

I liked over 1,500 in around than five hours, which I believe is less than a day :joy:.

And what is normally the base like limit?

1 Like

50…

…with a TL4 multiplier of 3 you get 150. Seems you gained a zero somehow, unless staff are exempt?

1 Like

They are :dealwithit:

3 Likes

So if they are, it’s impossible to reach some of the badges, correct?

Is there anyway to change this?