We know that healthy communities are always growing, through an influx of new users. Without a steady stream of new users, a community can only hope for, at best, stagnation. Discourse can’t magically deliver new users to your site. However, it should help you reward and appreciate the great new users that do arrive on your site!
For the 1.8 #releases we’re building in a way to automatically reward your best new users.
Sort of a “rookie of the month” kind of badge that says …
- hey thanks for showing up!
- we really appreciate what you’re contributing
- in fact, you’re one of the best new users this month and you get a special badge and letter to permanently commemerate
I think this badge has to be based on posting, because as much as I believe reading is fundamental, new arrivals who spend a lot of time reading aren’t moving the needle in quite the same way that new arrivals who post do.
My initial brainstorming leads me to this criteria for the badge:
- of the user accounts created in the last (x) weeks …
- take the top (y) users by post likes
- consider ratio of total new user posts in the interval to likes, so we aren’t necessarily rewarding one post with 50+ likes
- for the interval, award two users the badge and send out a congratulatory email (we provide the default copy)
- we might want to ignore other new user votes to favor only votes by established users?
Note that the badge must be marked with the interval, so we know when it was awarded; it’s more meaningful that way:
Rookie of the month, November 1962