Beta upgrade failed: 3.1.0.beta8+248 > 3.2.0.beta1+15

I’m a fairly new Discourse admin, but an experience package/system admin/developer. I understand this is beta, I’m just reporting the issue as an FYI and I suspect it will be corrected on subsequent builds. The problem is that this is available in the field.

I tried to upgrade Discourse itself, twice, and got the same error in the same location. The Docker Manager was successfully upgraded immediately before this. What’s weird to note here is that the Docker Manager shows as up to date (see image), and I’m upgrading the forum, but at the bottom of the log (see below) it says:
Docker Manager: FAILED TO UPGRADE.
HTH

Relevant log:

[4/5] Linking dependencies...
warning " > @glint/environment-ember-loose@1.1.0" has unmet peer dependency "@glimmer/component@^1.1.2".
warning " > @glint/environment-ember-template-imports@1.1.0" has unmet peer dependency "ember-template-imports@^3.0.0".
warning " > @mixer/parallel-prettier@2.0.3" has unmet peer dependency "prettier@^2.0.0".
[5/5] Building fresh packages...
$ yarn --cwd app/assets/javascripts $(node -e 'const argv = JSON.parse(process.env.npm_config_argv).original; const passthrough = [`--frozen-lockfile`, `-s`].filter(arg => argv.includes(arg)); console.log(passthrough.join(` `));')
yarn install v1.22.19
[1/4] Resolving packages...
warning Resolution field "unset-value@2.0.1" is incompatible with requested version "unset-value@^1.0.0"
[2/4] Fetching packages...
[3/4] Linking dependencies...
warning "workspace-aggregator-dfb76705-117c-466a-beb5-2bb956000210 > discourse > @uppy/aws-s3@3.0.6" has incorrect peer dependency "@uppy/core@^3.1.2".
warning "workspace-aggregator-dfb76705-117c-466a-beb5-2bb956000210 > discourse > @uppy/aws-s3-multipart@3.1.3" has incorrect peer dependency "@uppy/core@^3.1.2".
warning "workspace-aggregator-dfb76705-117c-466a-beb5-2bb956000210 > discourse > @uppy/xhr-upload@3.1.1" has incorrect peer dependency "@uppy/core@^3.1.2".
warning "workspace-aggregator-dfb76705-117c-466a-beb5-2bb956000210 > discourse-plugins > ember-this-fallback@0.3.1" has unmet peer dependency "ember-source@^3.28.11 || ^4.0.0".
warning "workspace-aggregator-dfb76705-117c-466a-beb5-2bb956000210 > discourse > @uppy/aws-s3 > @uppy/xhr-upload@3.3.0" has incorrect peer dependency "@uppy/core@^3.2.1".
[4/4] Building fresh packages...
error /var/www/discourse/app/assets/javascripts/node_modules/discourse: Command failed.
Exit code: 1
Command: yarn --silent --cwd .. patch-package
Arguments:
Directory: /var/www/discourse/app/assets/javascripts/node_modules/discourse
Output:
patch-package 8.0.0
Applying patches...
@ember/jquery@2.0.0 ✔
@ember/legacy-built-in-components@0.4.2 ✔
babel-plugin-debug-macros@0.3.4 ✔
ember-source@3.28.12 ✔
ember-this-fallback@0.3.1 (1 initial) ✔

⛔ ERROR

Failed to apply patch file ember-this-fallback+0.3.1+002+themes.patch.

If this patch file is no longer useful, delete it and run

patch-package

To partially apply the patch (if possible) and output a log of errors to fix, run

patch-package --partial

After which you should make any required changes inside node_modules/ember-this-fallback, and finally run

patch-package ember-this-fallback

to update the patch file.
info Visit https://yarnpkg.com/en/docs/cli/install for documentation about this command.
error Command failed with exit code 1.
info Visit https://yarnpkg.com/en/docs/cli/install for documentation about this command.
Docker Manager: FAILED TO UPGRADE
#<RuntimeError: RuntimeError>
2 Likes

Follow-up: On simply reloading the admin page, it shows the environment was successfully upgraded … something is wrong. :slight_smile:
Again, I understand this is beta+dev. I’m trying to help in this process.

Hi Tony, thanks for the report. To get things back in a proper state, the best thing is to do a CLI rebuild. On a standard installation, that’s:

cd /var/discourse
./launcher rebuild app
2 Likes

Overnight Discourse became unresponsive. The Loading animation loaded but no content. I did a full Ubuntu update of the few most recent packages and then did the CLI rebuild. The app seems to be working properly now, and the current issue seems to be resolved.

Thanks!

1 Like

Glad to hear things are working now! In terms of the original issue, we haven’t found the root cause yet, but we have implemented a workaround so that occasional failures of patch-package don’t totally break the update process.

2 Likes