Better indication a topic is locked

So I was perusing the Emby forums the other day and I came across a locked thread. It was very obvious that the thread was locked because instead of the Post Reply button there was a big giant “This Topic is Locked” icon in it’s place. Just wanted to suggest that Discourse consider doing something similar - this is really helpful as an end user so you aren’t spending any time trying to reply to something when you don’t realize it is locked.

1 Like

Well, the lock icon is on the title of the post:

And, the Reply button is also hidden for non-admins, implying that a post can’t be replied to.

2 Likes

I know! It’s just not very obvious, especially to a new user not familiar with Discourse.

The fact that it is hidden actually exacerbates the issue, because the user can spend considerable time (as much as a minute or two) looking for a reply button thinking that they just aren’t seeing it instead of moving on or creating a linked topic to discuss whatever it is they wanted to talk about.

The example above even goes a step further by giving a second line (Also in the screenshot) that says “No replies to this topic” for the absolute newbie in case they don’t understand what a locked topic is.

I dunno - I just think it would make for a better user experience for the newbie - maybe I’m wrong?

This means that the topic in question didn’t receive a reply.

Probably, but Discourse is very click-everything-you-can-see oriented. The underlying UX tries to remain as simple as possible: if you don’t see it, you can’t do it. If you don’t see a way to reply, then you probably aren’t able to reply.

On that note, maybe it would be a good idea to mention this in the introduction PM that all users get?

1 Like

What if you made it clickable, but when you click it a lightbox (or similar) pops up explaining what a locked thread is?

I am not a big fan of imagining problems users “might” have, I am a fan of reacting to reports from real users.

I’m not convinced this is unclear, and more significantly, I have never heard a report from any user or site owner that this was a problem.

That said, I am interested in providing a better more condensed set of Staff Messages, perhaps using iconography. But it’d be the same message, in the same place, with the same color just with a lock icon and smaller.

1 Like

@riking - I was talking about the “vanilla” locked topic. I was referring to the generic discourse theme and not to our own custom CSS work - hence this being on the public forum and not in our private board :wink: - Do you really think i’m that lame to complain to you about my own (or my associates) work? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@codinghorror - I actually had a problem myself on some forums where I couldn’t find a reply button for one reason or another (usually a permissions thing or the like) and its incredibly frustrating when you think you should be able to reply to something and can’t. Fair point however - if people aren’t complaining about it no use in spending the effort to resolve.

[quote=“strager, post:8, topic:29826”]
Do you really think i’m that lame to complain to you about my own (or my associates) work?
[/quote]Oops, I misread… Deleted that post.