Big Header - Little Header

Just a heads up to anyone using this component - I pushed an update that makes it compatible with the core changes that were made to the Discourse header. Let me know if you find any lingering issues. I plan to do a larger refactor when time permits, but hopefully it’s in working condition again.

cc @Alec (since you reported the issue)

3 Likes

Hi! I find this works great on desktop / tablet platforms but on mobile it overrides the search / hamburger / user profile buttons (and Log In…if not logged in).

The buttons are all displayed, but they are not clickable because the hyperlink of the logo is taking precedence.

EDIT >> Fixed with the following CSS.

a#logo-link {
    margin-top: 40px;
}
1 Like

Hey, I really love this but I would also like to change the size of the small logo! In the theme/component I can only change the size of the big one. What is the most straightforward way to change the size of the standard logo too?

If I’m understanding you correctly, you should be able adjust the normal logo’s size by adding the following CSS rule to a new local component (e.g. “Big Header - Little Header Customizations”) you create on your site.

.scrolled-down .d-header #site-logo {
   height: 1.57em;
}
1 Like

So - there is no way on the Big Header, Little header to have different header Logos for mobile and desktop?

1 Like

Anyway to set an alternate logo for dark mode?

1 Like

These are good suggestions and shouldn’t be too difficult to support. I’ve got a lot on my plate at the moment, but will try to dig in soon.

2 Likes

Thanks! I love the big header/little header theme component on desktop but sadly without mobile support its really hard to use (50%+ of my traffic is mobile). Looking forward to the update.

1 Like

Just checking in… I would still love to implement this on my site, but need to have it accommodate mobile too since thats half the traffic these days.

1 Like

Thanks for the bump on this. I’ve just completed some work on the Category Previews component. Next is the Versatile Banner component, then I should be able to tackle this.

Unfortunately that plate I mentioned is still quite full :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

really looking forward to it when your plate gets less full :grinning:

1 Like

Barring any extreme circumstances, I’m going to make time next week. You’ve been very patient!

Update! I have mobile and dark-specific logos working locally. I just want to make sure I thoroughly test everything. There are a lot of different scenarios that include different fallbacks, so I want to make sure I get it right. Should be ready very soon! (This week got away from me, hopefully I’ll be able to finish it off next week)

3 Likes

Great - thanks so much…

OK - shall I update and try it again now?

1 Like

Not quite. I haven’t committed the changes just yet. Final testing should be done tomorrow!

Ok @BCHK and @ncaming215 there’s plenty more that should be done with this component eventually, but I was able to get dark/mobile logo support added with the following commits:

Please update the component and let me know if you notice any issues.

4 Likes

Works ok on mobile but seems to not be compatible with the new sidebar on desktop with the Default theme.

bigsmallbug

Let me know if more information is needed but I think there’s nothing else special about my install besides the sidebar.

1 Like

Still problems with sidebar, as DonH pointed out in the message above.

It would be very nice to have this component. My logo gets very small in the default header.

Kind regards,

1 Like

Hi, does this still work?
When I activate the component, my logo in the header disappears completely even though I have images uploaded for:

mobile logo url
logo url dark
mobile logo url

Right now, you can consider it as broken. The component has not been updated for two years, and many changes have happened in the core. At first glance, it would require, at minimum, some CSS adjustments.

Who’s responsibility is to to tag theme components, plug-ins etc as broken (author?).

I’ve tagged it as broken for now. PRs welcome to fix it! I just do not have the time to look into it at this point, unfortunately.

2 Likes