"blocked onebox domains" doesn't work

I put youtube.com in the “blocked onebox domains” setting. Then made a post with a youtube link. A onebox showed up. The expected behavior is no onebox preview. That should be reproducible.

Also there is no one way to disable onboxes globally that I can see. This is really annoying. One obvious way to allow this would be for “blocked onebox domains” to support *. If the main bug gets fixed, I suggest doing that along with it.

I am unable to reproduce this. Is the link in the form of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXXX ? You might want to block youtu.be as well.

Just set max_oneboxes_per_post to 0.

5 Likes

Thank you. This works. I should have noticed this.

Yes, it is in that form.

Ok. I’ve done a bit more experimenting, and the issue only shows up for domains which have already had a link preview generated. So, if you create a new post, paste in a link to domain X, which generates a link preview box, (don’t even complete the post) then block the domain, then create a new post, paste in the same link, the link preview is generated despite it being blocked.

Additional info: version I tested on: Discourse 2.9.0.beta7 - GitHub - discourse/discourse: A platform for community discussion. Free, open, simple. version 5894e7d30f2c597b9750f6b6a55d81f9d101c037

Yep, seems like the cache is checked before the blocklist is checked: discourse/final_destination.rb at main · discourse/discourse · GitHub

3 Likes

I’ve just encountered this problem too and it is quite an annoying bug.

Doesn’t this mean that those should be switched around?

1 Like