Blue post notices ... really necessary?

I’m English but living in France and French speaking with French family, but get where you are coming from. Thanks for your reply.

2 Likes

I absolutely love them. They are really useful, especially the new user banner.

8 Likes

OK… ok guys I really need to rephrase - I do love a blue banner…BUT it depends what’s on it.
Hello or Welcome to our community …Yes ,yes ,yes…
But when I saw the 4 months since last posting? Not my cup of tea, and I can say that 'cos I’m English :rofl:
Ps anyone can say that irrespective of nationality :wink:

3 Likes

I thought that those banners were not visible to the person posting.

2 Likes

That is even worse! :astonished:
So condescending is correct? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Or is a new or very ancient poster supposed to believe that all of a sudden everyone :heart: likes them?
Welcome by all means but let’s do it to their face!

2 Likes

I find them very helpful. I can tell when someone is a new user or if a user that I don’t recognize is a long time discourse user who just doesn’t spend their whole life here. It gives context to the questions they ask.

But maybe read Post notices for first-time and returning users rather than rehashing it all again.

13 Likes

Ok… never thought of it that way, but if the OP does not see it, isn’t it a bit like talking about them behind their back…
I really like the positives …Welcome, congratulations, anniversaries etc … but saying 9 months since he or she posted or the worlds biggest loser … not so good? :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Sure, there is also the opposite of what I described above: These banners prevent “genuine” reactions from people who would notice by themselves someone is new or was absent. But Jay posted a great link showing how to disable the feature if you don’t want/like it. You only have to make a choice: Do you prefer to HAVE this feature, or NOT have it ?

2 Likes

The feature is GOOD …it is what is typed within that has to be carefully monitored.
(especially if the OP is not privy to this information)

1 Like

You can customise the text.

Go to Admin -> Customize -> Text Content

8 Likes

That is terrible… you really know how to wind someone up! :smiley:
Thanks Robert knew I could rely on you… so no more counting the days? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Just hide it with CSS if you don’t like it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

You are slowly putting yourself in an impossible situation :wink: So, now, you said you actually liked the feature, and the problem is only WHAT is written. Please come up with something better than what is currently used and that you rate as “terrible”.

My guess is that it won’t be very easy. Everybody is now watching what you can come up with :wink: Better than “terrible”, that shouldn’t be so hard, hey ? :wink:

3 Likes

Yes you are right, if you really do want me to explain, I shall explain…
I took objection to the 4 months not posted banner (nothing to brag about) and also seen behind an OP’s back.
But having now expressed my concern I do see the plus side and I do like the welcome feature and the positive comments .
So I believe the word is " Stalemate" :chess_pawn:
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

As the poster (in the new user and first time posting scenario, anyway), you wouldn’t see it though – only existing users with trust level 2 can see that post notice.

You can also edit any text in Discourse to whatever copy you like, if you prefer different words. Simply visit Admin, Customize, Text.

8 Likes

Does that make it acceptable? (depending on the message)
I saw a blue banner for someone that had not posted for months and it made me feel uncomfortable. Thank goodness they (the OP) could not see it!

1 Like

I’m sorry you feel that way.

It makes me happy to see it, because it reminds me to encourage people who return by replying to them and/or liking their post, and I consider it good news when people return.

9 Likes

If I was the OP I would hate to be patronised like that.

1 Like

You’re the first person who has ever reacted that way to it that I know of. :man_shrugging:

Generally people like to be acknowledged. What tends to make people quit communities is being ignored.

7 Likes

Brilliant a breath of fresh air…
Please don’t get me wrong I love being acknowledged.
I can’t get or understand the OMG he or she has posted after all this time rubbish or philosophy. Why do they need an accolade or to be shown up? In fact why mention it at all…does that make their contribution to the forum more special than anyone elses?