Bookmark a selected text

Hello,

Bookmarks is a super useful feature and personally I use it many times. I am thinking about a little plus which maybe can built in bookmarks.

Feature: Bookmark with selection. When you select a text in post there will popup a share and quote panel.

Screenshot 2021-08-15 at 10.19.42

In this panel could appear a Bookmark option. So if you click the bookmark it will bookmark the whole post just like now but when you open bookmark it use the highlighted text feature which is now I guess use search if the text matches.

Maybe an anchor will be useful too which goes to the selected text in post when you open bookmark.

Benefits: Really helpful if users can separate a huge post to sections and bookmarks the relevant informations from it. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

This is a nice idea @martin – it could automatically populate the bookmark text with the selection?

4 Likes

That does sound good the only part I’m not sure of is this:

Also, I’m not sure if you aware @Don but when you search bookmarks we look in both the post content and the bookmark name.

2 Likes

Yeah that might cause problems :thinking: Is that possible to handle these bookmarks selections separately? This way we can create more bookmarks from a single post and restrict the search to these selected text bookmarks.

I mean when you click the bookmarked post on Bookmarks page than it will jump to the exact selected section in the post.

I made a video about the original idea. I imagined something like this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It is great. I hope you have found the solution and can share it with me? I’m looking for a solution inspired by highlighting on medium. Also, this is a good way to give a good signal to an article and help the users behind can easily recognize the main content in the topic (because I am running a forum related to education).

I really hope Discourse team can develop this feature soon, and add core theme.

1 Like

Hey @Don :slight_smile:

Would this plugin be a good enough alternative? It’s unofficial and I didn’t test it on the last Discourse version, though: