Bring Discourse information to WordPress

(Dylan Burkhardt) #1

I’m looking to implement Discourse/WP SSO as a way to allow users to login to my WordPress site with Discourse accounts that they already have. In that process I was hoping to be able to bring along information (group, trust level) and store that in WordPress to allow them to view/hide certain content. Is this currently possible?

(Simon Cossar) #2

The wp-discourse plugin isn’t doing this yet, but it’s something that people have been asking for. What I think could be done in the near future would be to bring that information across from Discourse to WordPress and store it as user metadata. It would be up to a site’s developer to make use of the information.

(Dylan Burkhardt) #3

That is exactly the sort of functionality I would be looking for. Just store that information as user meta data and then the WP features can check against it.

(Dylan Burkhardt) #4

So if this isn’t standard right now, can anyone point me in the right direction of where to go toward implementing it?

(Simon Cossar) #5

You can use something like this and hook it into the wp_login action (remove the public keyword.)

public function lookup_discourse_user( $username, $wp_user ) {
		$base_url     = $this->options['url'];
		$api_key      = $this->options['api-key'];
		$api_username = $this->options['publish-username'];

if ( empty( $base_url ) || empty( $api_key ) || empty( $api_username ) ) {

return new \WP_Error( 'discourse_configuration_error', 'The WP Discourse plugin has not been properly configured.' );
		}

// Try to get the user by external_id.
		$external_user_url = esc_url_raw( $base_url . "/users/by-external/$wp_user->ID.json" );
		$external_user_url = add_query_arg( array(
			'api_key'      => $api_key,
			'api_username' => $api_username,
		), $external_user_url );

$response          = wp_remote_get( $external_user_url );

if ( ! DiscourseUtilities::validate( $response ) ) {

return new \WP_Error( 'discourse_response_error', 'There has been an error in retrieving the user data from Discourse.' );
		}

$user_data = json_decode( wp_remote_retrieve_body( $response ), true );

return $user_data;
	}

You can get the options in your theme or a plugin by calling $options = WPDiscourse\Utilities\Utilities::get_options(). You can use the validate method by calling WPDiscourse\Utilities\Utilities::validate( $response ).

In the next update to the plugin, I might be able to add an option to sync user_data on login. It probably won’t sync all the data that you’re looking for, but an action could be added that would let you access the user_data.