I’ve got a fresh install of ubuntu 20, docker and Discourse. I’ve not added any plugins and only have two users in my database, however builds are taking upwards of 40 minutes to complete! There’s no specific part of the build process that is slow, the entire thing takes an absolute age to complete. It’s a pretty good spec server, and I have another happily serving 20 of my clients websites, so it isnt a performance issue.
Hangs here for at least 4 minutes:
warning Resolution field "email@example.com" is incompatible with requested version "firstname.lastname@example.org"
Hangs again here immediately after for another 4-5 minutes:
warning " > @email@example.com" has unmet peer dependency "prettier@^2.0.0".
I’ve tried building with --skip-prereqs to no avail, it is still taking 40+ minutes each rebuild.
Is there anything in particular that you think may be causing the problem?
I don’t know if it’s really something to consider, but personally, in many things I have noticed that performance drops when using Ubuntu 20.04 (Discourse, WebServers, Game Servers) even trying different ways to try to optimize
At the moment I am running Discourse in a Droplet for tests with the same characteristics, it takes about 8-12 minutes to rebuild (Ubuntu 18)
This is a gigantic change we are working on for years, and is getting to the final stages. During it we have a period where “things will get worse before they get better”, and this is one of the “worse” side effects of it.
Appreciate the update @Falco On a quad CPU with 8GB RAM on Linode and normally this is a fantastic setup, but it is a nightmare now. We have a number of changes we were planning to make, but will need to wait now until the deployment get’s back to normal’ish speeds.
@Falco I’m also noticing for the last few releases that the server performance is degrading, it takes longer to load the sites and consuming more memory. There have bee no changes to my setup in the past 2 years (plugins, hardware etc) and the number of active users on the site are also the same. Is there a way to objectively monitor site performance from within Discourse that we can then report back here. Right now the only way I know is when I open the site it takes from >8 seconds to load the first time (with earlier builds it would always be under 2-3 seconds).
I think I figured out why it’s taking so long to load pages. The shared db size in app.yml was set equal to the total memory of the system. Reset it back to the default (25%), rebuild and it’s under a second now.