Bundle install - Could not locate Gemfile or .bundle/ directory

I am installing on Fedora 23. I downloaded VirtualBox and then followed this tutorial (but for Unix)

I can SSH into the vagrant OK. Then “cd /vagrant” works OK.

“bundle install” gives the error “Could not locate Gemfile or .bundle/ directory”.

What step(s) am I missing?

1 Like

Can you find Discourse files?

find / -name discourse.rb

I wiped the installation. I’m downloading and starting again. Something was badly screwy. Will revert back here if I get the same problem.

1 Like

The DL failed a couple of times today. So I am trying the discourse image from https://bitnami.com.

Be aware, development instance is totally different than installation. What do you want to do?

The bitnami.com install downloaded quickly and worked immediately. I ran their installer and discourse was up and running right away. I named the site, gave my email and password, and that was it. This is from their README

Bitnami Discourse Stack ships with the following software versions:

• Discourse 1.4.6
  • Apache 2.4.18
  • PostgreSQL 9.4.6
  • Ruby 2.1.8
  • Rails 4.2.5.1
  • RubyGems 1.8.12

I want to look at discourse and see if I can use it for my image heavy web site. Someone said I’d need to write a plug in so I thought I’d look at doing that.

i had this problem once. reinstalled everything from scratch. it started working again. 3 days later same problem reappears.

i check for bundle -v

it confirms that Bundler is installed :
Bundler version 1.12.5

bundle install gives me the same error

i am running locally on Ubuntu 16.04 (VM Vagrant) . Am I missing something?

Same here: sometimes the shared folder is empty, hence the bundle issue.

When running vagrant up, I get this warning:

==> default: Checking for guest additions in VM...
    default: The guest additions on this VM do not match the installed version of
    default: VirtualBox! In most cases this is fine, but in rare cases it can
    default: prevent things such as shared folders from working properly. If you see
    default: shared folder errors, please make sure the guest additions within the
    default: virtual machine match the version of VirtualBox you have installed on
    default: your host and reload your VM.
    default:
    default: Guest Additions Version: 5.0.18
    default: VirtualBox Version: 5.1

… and as that warning says, if the guest additions version doesn’t match your VirtualBox version, you don’t necessarily get shared folders.

3 Likes