Error after running Discourse development environment using Vagrant


(A Magdy) #1

I followed the tutorial here: discourse/VAGRANT.md at master 路 discourse/discourse 路 GitHub

and it was straight forward, but after the dev machine is up, the app crashed and the attached error is shown, tried destroying the vm twice, updated everything, revised every step I did, I think it might have something to do with the new virtual dom rendering engine introduced, what do you think ?


#2

Hey @a-magdy,

I have successfully tried to run discourse on Vagrant by following these instructions. My s/w stack is OS X and Virtualbox.

Could you please provide us with some more information regarding the following questions:

  • Are you just trying to access the default page (aka 鈥/鈥)?
  • Are you trying with the HEAD of the git repo? Have you introduced any changes?
  • When launching the vm with vagrant up, do you get any errors in the logs?
  • Is the bundle install command run successfully?

In case you just want to quickly run a version of discourse, I would suggest you take a look in the docker alternative as well here.


(A Magdy) #3

Hey @stevelaskaridis,

Thank you for you reply.

My stack: Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop and VirtualBox
HEAD repo: Yes, also cloned the repo into an empty folder (didn鈥檛 pull into existing code).
vagrant up worked just fine.
and bundle install also works, but it prints an error each time I use it:
鈥淵ou are running an old version of bundler, please upgrade bundler ASAP, if you are using Discourse docker, rebuild your container.鈥

I鈥檒l take a look at docker.

Thanks you so much :slight_smile:


(Mittineague) #4

You may want to hold off on upgrading that.

I don鈥檛 know if the error is from Discourse or elsewhere, and it may be Discourse needs the older version.


(A Magdy) #5

Thanks for your note @Mittineague ,

But I鈥檇 like to point out that I tried updating it in the first trial, and it downloaded for a while, and after I ran the command again, the same message was still being printed.


(Mittineague) #6

It must be that the Discourse Gemfile.lock line wins out as to what gets used

      bundler (>= 1.3.0, < 2.0)