Can add short message to verify? Just input phone number can sign up

I’m Chinese. In China, e-mail is available, but some people are unaware of it. I don’t want to have to repeatedly explain this concept to them, for example,

“A software called Tencent QQ provides e-mail, but you don’t know. You will get an e-mail address as soon as you register an account. Actually, the e-mail is your Tencent QQ number + @ + qq.com. If you want, you can sign up for other e-mail services, such as WeChat, NetEase, or Microsoft.”

I often explain like this. However, some people even don’t have Tencent QQ.

I had considered building or setting up an email service similar to MailCow or CourierCube, but I gave up. Because of a really intractable situation, every cloud service has stopped providing port 22, and I heard that the country implemented a rule to block port 22 due to abuse. So I’m looking for a plugin that allows signing up with a phone or short-message, but I can’t find one. So I really hope your team to develop a plugin or release a version that can do it. PLEASE!

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @0x22f1a6543a0 :slight_smile:

There is this non-official plugin which may be of use - Disable Email Verification for Discourse Plugin. You could possibly use that alongside a required user custom field to get close to what you’re looking for?

5 Likes

Might having a common SSO or federation login provider handle this be a good solution?

One based on SAML or DiscourseConnect that did the heavy lifting.

User chooses phone login, signs up, puts in their phone number, and gets a confirmation code…

What are the minimum requirements you would expect of everyone to use this service and to recover their accounts?

4 Likes

Thank you for answering my question

I will try SSO or federation login provider handle.

I hope the minimum requirements is sign up and it can short-messsage + e-mail double teaming up.

2 Likes

Thank you for answering my question

According to your answering, I think is a good way to sign up with short-message. All in all i will try all the solution.

• inlcude Disable Email + user custom field

• common SSO or federation login provider handle

2 Likes