Can I treat a tag (or grouping of tags) as a Category?

I’m curious on if it is possible for to treat postings within a Tag or Grouping of Tags (“Moving”) as a listed category.

Basically, I’d reassign /tag/moving to be listed as a category for users. Seems I cannot do this for a grouping.

1 Like

No, not at the moment, but strategically grouping a set of categories and tags into “this is the list of topics I care about, I literally don’t care about anything else” is something that is under active discussion by the Discourse team.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info! My thought is in regards:

1. Uncategorized
  2. Category for everyone/trust levels
  3. Category for Group
  4. Category-ish appearance, but actually just tags. This is because I don’t have a more convenient way to incorporate /tag/moving into our landing page which lists things by category. If it existed, I could see this being quite limited in comparison to just having a standard category.

I suppose this idea kind of reminds me of our Discuss category actually being uncategorized. Instead of uncategorized, I’d list a category actually made up of particular tags. Thanks for considering and replying! :+1:

@codinghorror also worth noting this topic connects to a different suggestion I had for adding tags via email.
email@example.com creates a new topic in uncategorized.
accessibility@example.com creates a new topic in uncategorized, but adds the tag Accessibility.

2 Likes

Thinking about this and re-found this discussion. What I love and am using currently is:

• Using watched words to add Tags automatically to new topics.
  • Tag icons.
  • Tag Banners for descriptions.
  • Tag Styles for colors
  • Subscribing to tags via rss.
  • Grouping Tags together as Tag Groups.

I think it would be a most excellent next step to expand Tag Groups

• allow linking to the Tag group via url
  • allow Tag Group icons
  • Banner descriptions
  • Stylings, to match the replaced categories.

For me, this would take the place of the average category. If form templates end up supporting tags we will really only need categories for special uses and group/trust level restrictions. :heart:

I also like it because it could prove very, very organized while greatly reducing the number of categories required by a forum.

Thanks either way for considering my dreams. :cloud:

1 Like