Can we make discourse installation easier

skip various basic settings and debug after successful installation, such as email?

1 Like

Hi there, could you elaborate further on this, like what basic settings you would want to skip?
Thanks!

6 Likes

Your first sign up is going to need email so an install without email doesn’t get you very far.

1 Like

I find email the most frustrating part of the setup myself, so it would be nice if this could eventually be optional — but it’s necessary at the moment for account verification, password resets, and some other functionality.

Is email the main concern for you, or did you find other steps unnecessary?

7 Likes

email
Thanks!

2 Likes

If you could refer to the installation of WordPress, it would be great :rofl:

Either way, email will be needed, so one cannot try to “skip” it. Along the way, it will have to be used (ways noted above my Kris).

If we really want to skip email setup, I think we could.

Giving the user an option to seed the admin user with a username and password but with gibberish email. This will lock the user out since password reset would fail.

Essentially it’s like having a development setup. That said, I am not sure if this is a good idea since the self-hoster would skip setting up email but would have to learn themselves some Rails. :balance_scale:

5 Likes