Can You Restrict Signups Using `swot` Email Verification?

Hello,
Can anyone give information on how it would be possible to regulate signups that only people can signup if their email passes swot:

It is written in Ruby, just like Discourse.

You’d need a plugin that would validate email addresses against that gem. A simple one would do it just when it tried to create the account. A more sophisticated version would do it before it was submitted. I’d guess it’s 1-3 hours work for a seasoned discourse c developer.

See Developing Discourse Plugins - Part 1 - Create a basic plugin or marketplace. There’s also a all-the-plugins repo in the github discourse hierarchy that’s a good place to look for examples.

2 Likes

Alright, I’ll look to see if I can modify swot to be a plugin for Discourse.

2 Likes

I’ve never touched ruby, so sorry if I sound dumb, but is it possible to create a plugin and like install swot as a dependency to validate emails against?

Yes. It’s quite possible, but if you want to do it yourself you’ll need to understand, or at least interact with ruby, rails, discourse, and discourse plugins.

It seems like you don’t understand those things. If you’re a developer familiar with other languages, you might get up to speed to write such a plugin in 10 to 40 hours.

If you have money, you can post in marketplace

3 Likes

I’m working on a plugin for it now, I will post an update here after I get it done & working.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.