Cannot create a Tag Group with over 199 tags? ("Loading failed" error)

I repeatedly get this error "Loading failed" when creating a Tag group with over 199 tags (counting for about ~1769 chars in total). After reaching some number of tags or the total chars (for all tags), I can no longer add more tags to this group.

Is it by design or a bug?

I tried few different tag names and saving a group doesn’t fix this either (i.e. allow to add more tags later).

This is a fresh Discourse install but I get similar error on other installations (all single container on a separate VPS with plenty of RAM and disk space).

Now, I trimmed the Virgin-Islands to Virgin-Isl and successfully added it, but the next tag cannot have even a single char :crazy_face:

Discourse-Bug-Tags-Loading-failed-2

6 Likes

Interesting, what do you make of this @neil? UI issue?

This doesn’t sound intentional. I’ll have a look.

I’m guessing you’re on an older version because mine looks like this :frowning:

EDIT: I can create a group with 205 tags, so it’s probably something to do with the length of the names?

@dalerka I created a group with 300 tags and will stop now. Can you find an error in logs or browser console to go with that “Loading failed” case?

5 Likes

So your solution is to update to latest.

@neil Thanks for looking into this.
The difference in styling is due to my custom CSS and I don’t see how that could affect adding the tags.

I was on discourse (86bf6ba) and now upgraded to the newest version (e7b732a) and the problem persists.

NOTE: The problem starts when there are too many characters (in total) as all the tags are being passed in a very long URL resulting in:

XHR failed loading: GET in the browser console.

So, how should this issue be addressed?

2 Likes

Hmm. I think it’s safe to stop sending all the tags you’ve already input. Only the tag group input allows so many tags.

I pushed a fix to send no more than 100 tags.

4 Likes

Thank you! Meanwhile (as a workaround) I split one large tag group into two smaller groups.

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.