Limiting tags to categories not working as expected

Good day

I have a number of tag groups

1. official-processor-boards containing tags boardA, boardB and boardC etc; setting is “limit to one tag from this group”.
  2. other-boards-and-processors containing tags boardD and BoardE etc; setting is “limit to one tag from this group”.
  3. all-processor-boards containg the above boards; setting is “limit to one tag from this group”.
  4. misc containing various other tags.
  5. a couple of other tag- groups with various tags.

I have various categories; in some of those categories I need to limit the tags that the user can choose. For some of the categories, the user should choose one tag from all-processor-boards and one or more tags from misc.
Unfortunately this does not work as expected. After selecting a tag from all-processor-boards as well as from misc, the user can select other tags from both tag groups.

If I change the tag-group for the category from all-processor-boards to official-processor-boards or to other-boards-and-processors, it works as expected and after selecting the first two tags the user can only select from the misc category.

I’ve gone a couple of times over the tag-group settings for the relevant groups and they are the same; I have deleted the tag groups and tags and (after some renaming) reloaded the CSV files (one for each tag group).

The same problem shows up if I replace misc by one of the various other tag-groups (item 5 above) and applies to all categories.

The below may be relevant:
I have a hidden category that contains all tag-groups so I’m forced to be specific with tag groups for all categories.

Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance. Below some screenshots.

Just to check, are you testing with a test user? I believe admins and moderators can bypass these limits, so it may give misleading results if you’re using your own account.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply

This user is not a moderator nor an admin. I’m not sure which trust level (I battle to translate badges to trust levels) but it should be low (TL0 or TL1).

I did forget to add the settings for the misc tag group. Below

I’ve removed all tags and tag groups and started from scratch with the same idea; still the same problem.

I’ve also removed all tag groups from the hidden category.

After removing other-boards-and-processors and official-processor-boards I can use all-processor-boards as expected.

Discourse does not seem to like tags shared between multiple tag groups. Did I find a bug?

Hmmm :thinking: I think I may be seeing the same.

Let me see if I can simplify a repro so someone can take a look.

• Create Tag Group A - with tags alpha, beta, gamma
  • Create Tag Group AB - with tags alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon

Both tag groups have ’ Limit one tag per topic from this group` checked.

• Create Category 1 with these tag settings:

• Create a topic in this category with a TL1 user

Expected:

Based on the above settings, in the tag selection I would only expect to be allowed to choose 1 tag from Tag Group AB

Actual:

Selecting either delta or epsilon would allow me to also choose either alpha, beta, or gamma as well.

Choosing alpha, beta, or gamma would not permit a second tag choice.

3 Likes

I’ve found a work-around that will work if the number of tags in a group is small. Instead of restricting a category to the specific sub group, specify the specif tags that are in the full group.

It can become a maintenance nightmare because adding a new tag to the full group now involves also adding the new tag to every category where it is needed.

For now I can live with that.

1 Like

I’ve roped in someone else to try and untangle this too, so hopefully we’ll get some extra clarity and maybe even a solution. :slight_smile: :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

This issue should be resolved in

6 Likes

Unfortunately I can not do a thorough test on this one; a quick test seems to show that it is fixed.

6 Likes