Cannot use tags in private message

I’m using Discourse 2.9.0.beta2.

While doing a PM as an admin to one of my moderators, I get an error message when using tags, either existing or creating a new one. Is there a setting I should enable somewhere? Or is this a known bug?

2022-02-23 16_06_06-Inbox - Messages - Profile - Wall-E - Helionauts

There is a setting you could try:

Update: After a little test, I can only get the ‘add tag’ box to show up if I don’t refresh after I disable the setting.

1 Like

It’s working. So it’s a staff-only feature, right? Regular group members can’t tag? I guess that’s more a thing for topics in categories?

That’s right. :+1: Tagging private messages is staff only (ie. Admins and Moderators). And they’re only visible to staff too.

I’ve tried a few combinations of settings to see if I can replicate, but I haven’t had any luck so far (min level to tag, min level to create tag, disable tags but leave pm tags on).

Are there any other details that might help? Any tag settings specific to your site?

I think I may have misunderstood when you said ‘it’s working’. :slightly_smiling_face: I thought you meant the setting, but I realise now you may have meant the actual pm tagging. Anyway, hopefully that’s all fixed for you now. :crossed_fingers::+1:

1 Like

Hi @JammyDodger,

We recently upgrade our forum to the newest & hosted version of Discourse and the option is gone. Any idea why this happened?

It looks like that setting has now been opened up to include optional other groups now too - pm tags allowed for groups:

Update: That’s pretty nifty. :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve just been having a quick run through, and you can also still limit some tags to certain groups (eg. Staff) by setting up a Tag Group and using the usability/visibility options in there.

1 Like