Can't have multiple new topic drafts

Following a meeting, I volunteered for two separate tasks, requiring two separate threads.

I open a browser tab and begin one of them. I open a second tab to begin the second, and the “New Topic” button is replaced with a “Open Draft” button. I am prevented from beginning my second thread until I post my first thread.

This seems counter-intuitive in that one, to my knowledge, there is no way to save and edit drafts in Discourse, and two, it requires me to use a separate app (a text editor) to accomplish my work.

1 Like

Your draft is saved automaticly.
You find your drafts in the User menu

Ways to work on more than one topic are mentioned here

Thank you, but your links to another Meta thread appear to suggest workarounds that aren’t much better than simply composing my thoughts entirely off Discourse in a third-party text editor.

Thank you also for directing me to a list of my saved drafts. I did not know those existed, I don’t know how they were created, and it seems now I have many drafts from over several months to delete individually (or is there a way to delete them all at once?). Additionally, this still doesn’t provide a solution to this bug I seem to have encountered, in that I can’t draft two threads at once.

I don’t think it’s a bug. Just how the system works today. But regardless, why can’t you just make the first topic and then make the second topic afterward? Do they have to be posted seconds apart for some reason?

I am working on both at the same time. I might similarly ask why would the system not permit this?

I have no idea. I was just noting that it didn’t seem like a bug. I wasn’t saying the current way is ideal.

Personally, I’ve almost never run into this issue before. Sure, it would be nice to be able to make multiple drafts at once. But I do wonder how common the use case is.

Create a PM to yourself is my recommendation.

2 Likes

I spent some time writing a theme component to add a ‘Save draft’ button to the composer - as well as a ‘View drafts’ button. I abandoned it in the end as the behaviour with new topics made it counter intuitive.

As a sample use case - I use this feature to save drafts on Twitter. It works in a similar way to Discourse - click Cancel and you are asked if you want to Delete or Save draft. The difference with Twitter is it does allow you to save more than one draft for a new topic. This is useful e.g. if drafting a few tweets late at night and saving them to post at a more appropriate time (or more often not after you’ve had time to sleep on it!)

The ‘Save draft as PM’ option is a good work around as Jeff recommends - providing you know how to convert a Topic into a PM and vice versa.

I would upvote this feature request of being able to save more than one draft of a + New Topic as I think it would be a useful addition - and more intuitive than using PMs to self to do this. It would also have the advantage of keeping all drafts in the same place.

3 Likes