Can't setup Google login for Discourse

Hello!
I’m creating a Discourse forum, using hosting from a Communiteq subscription.
I want to set up Google login, so I started following the indicated instructions at:

The step 12 further directs me to another set of instructions:
(can’t add link because new users here are limited to 2 links per post)

And the step 13 directs to another:

I don’t really understand what OAuth 2.0 Scopes are, or what exactly I’m supposed to do in those steps. But I think I still fall under the “personal use” criteria (I have virtually zero users), so I take it I can skip step 12.

In step 13 however, after copying the TXT from Google Search Console, the instructions say that I should “follow the directions Google provides.”
And the aforementioned directions from the Google Search Console say that I should:

“Sign in to your domain name provider (e.g. godaddy(dot)com or namecheap(dot)com)
Copy the TXT record below into the DNS configuration for (mydiscourseforumaddress)”

I don’t see a DNS configuration menu in either Discourse settings, or Communiteq settings.
I have a domain through Bluehost, and I added a CNAME to it so that my Discourse forum is redirected to it; am I supposed to add it there through Bluehost? Even though Communiteq is the real host of the Discourse server?

Going through all sorts of hoops just to allow logins through Google is stretching my nerves, so I hired through Fiverr a self-described expert on everything DNS, Mail, Records, etc.
But he also doesn’t know what to do. :sweat_smile: :joy:
He’s asking me where he can find the settings page for the Discourse forum domain.

Any help or indications on what exactly are we missing would be greatly appreciated! :pray:

I can’t help you with some of this. But I can help you with:

Yes, you would add the TXT entry in Bluehost, they are your domain name provider (their help page is here: https://www.bluehost.com/help/article/dns-management-add-edit-or-delete-dns-entries#modify), just make sure the type is TXT.

2 Likes

What should I add on “refers to”?
it gives me 3 options:
@
Other Host

I managed to verify the ownership and activate the Google Cloud Console project, using the “Add HTML Tag” method!
Should I still add the TXT on Bluehost?
Because I still can’t log in using Google, it says Error 400: redirect_uri_mismatch

Hi @Gustavo_Rivas :wave: welcome to Discourse Meta. :slight_smile:

You could always contact @RGJ or @michaeld, the good folks at Communiteq and I’m sure they’d be happy to help you. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Absolutely :+1:

But since this is not a hosting related question, it might make sense to have it answered here so other people can benefit from the answer as well.

The “add HTML tag” method should be sufficient. The redirect_uri_mismatch error you’re getting now is actually a different error and it means that you have successfully tackled the first challenge.

This error means that you have entered the wrong value in #4 here

2336c82222a35d1a88232c5baa8ead24bd5f2345_2_476x500

It should be https://forum.*yourname*.org/auth/google_auth2/callback
where you obviously substitute *yourname* with the actual value.

3 Likes

That’s it!
My value had a duplicated forward slash, so as soon as I removed it, the Google login now works! :partying_face:

Thank you very much everyone for your time! :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.