Category color selector hidden when category style set to none

I just spent over an hour trying to find out why the tool to select a category (badge) color was missing in my admin dashboard. I thought a plugin might be at fault, and I tried rebuilding my site. Turns out this feature is hidden when the category style setting is set to “none”.

I don’t think this is the best UX. There are multiple components and plugins that use category colors, including the category icons component. I use the category icons component in place of badges, so I have the category style set to “none”. I also use the colors in custom headers.

I think we should have the category color selector always available, otherwise we have to turn badges back on, set the color, then turn them back off. I’m not sure why the color selector tool can’t be on all the time, maybe with explanatory text explaining how the colors will be used so it’s clear than with a badge style of none, they may have no effect.

Hope that makes sense and is something worth considering. I’m really liking Discourse, so I’d like to contribute in some small way with a few ideas.

Duplicate of Being able to select category color in category parameters even if "category style = none"

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Being able to select category color in category parameters even if “category style = none”