Change "Reply" text independently for public topics and PMs

What would you like done?

Our users are from a mailing list background and get confused about whether they are posting publicly or PM’ing someone. We want to change the text of the Reply button from “Reply” to “Reply All”, to make it more clear. I can already do that using /admin/customize/site_texts, however this changes the Reply button for PMs as well, since PMs are also topics and use the same framework.

• For public topics, we want to keep the customization already provided by /admin/customize/site_texts.
  • For PMs, we want to change the text of the Reply button to “Message” in three places, shown below.

You can use any method that makes sense- expand the list of fields at /admin/customize/site_texts, a CSS customization, theme component, plugin, etc.

I suppose the trick will be to distinguish between public topics and PMs.

When do you need it done?

Next couple weeks would be great.

What is your budget, in $ USD that you can offer for this task?

Open to offers.

1 Like

If you use only one language in your forum I think I can do this via css, I’ll test this and contact you in a few hours

I already ‘hacked’ some buttons with css on one forum

1 Like

Check out Change color of personal messages

2 Likes

I could clean a little bit the code, but this works

In public posts:

In PM box:

Reply control in PM:

.archetype-private_message .post-controls button.widget-button.btn-flat.reply.create.fade-out.btn-icon-text .d-button-label {
    font-size: 0;
}

.archetype-private_message .post-controls button.widget-button.btn-flat.reply.create.fade-out.btn-icon-text::after {
    content: "Message";
    font-size: 1.00em;
}

.archetype-private_message .topic-footer-main-buttons button.btn-primary.create.btn.btn-icon-text.ember-view .fa {
    margin-right: 0;
}

.archetype-private_message .topic-footer-main-buttons button.btn-primary.create.btn.btn-icon-text.ember-view .d-button-label {
}

.archetype-private_message .topic-footer-main-buttons button.btn-primary.create.btn.btn-icon-text.ember-view::after {
}

.archetype-private_message #reply-control button.btn-primary.create.btn.btn-icon-text.ember-view .fa {
    margin-right: 0;
}

.archetype-private_message #reply-control button.btn-primary.create.btn.btn-icon-text.ember-view .d-button-label {
}

.archetype-private_message #reply-control button.btn-primary.create.btn.btn-icon-text.ember-view::after {
}
3 Likes

There’s probably an easier way. Have you looked into text customization?

3 Likes

I have a separate Discourse instance that is installed for various tests. It is very convenient. I tried to see what has changed in this plan lately.

1. I added numeric values to each translation.

1. Now we see on the forum itself:

I did not look at the code now, but earlier it used the same language variables for these two different places.

For the topic, and personal messages used: js.topic.reply.title

Thanks, I’ll look closer later, but any idea why it’s focused on changing the colour of PMs, rather than text?

Ah, so that’s the key. I’ll need to study up on archetypes. Thanks!

The text is easily changed in /admin/customize/text. The color makes it really obvious that you’re doing something different.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.