Changing default ownership of "About category" posts

Hello,

Is there any way of changing the default ownership of these automatically created posts?

On my Discourse forum, moderators can manage categories, but it feels weird to have moderators as authors of these posts. We would like to use a unique “generic” account for these posts (let’s say, the system account).

I am aware that admins can change post ownership a posteriori, but moderators cannot, and our admins are already sufficiently busy. :wink:

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 Likes

This came up as a related problem recently when the staff members who created the categories were force-deleted, their “about this category” topics were also deleted.

3 Likes

Does this mean the feature I am asking for does not yet exist but might be introduced in a future upgrade?

1 Like

There is a fix in place now, if you are on latest – deleting a user no longer deletes any “About the {x} Category” topics that user created.

1 Like

This is not what I am looking for.

I would like to have a site setting fixing once and for all the author of these topics. So that the author is not the moderator/administrator who created the category, but this fixed account.

You can change ownership via the following steps:

1. Use the topic level wrench
  2. Select posts…
  3. Press the Change ownership button on the right side of the screen
  4. Select the user you wish to own the post

You could try impersonating, although the “stop impersonating” ux is a little strange still. I have the same use case as you.

2 Likes

Thank you both.

I know that I can impersonate or change ownership, but only admins can do these operations. What if I am moderator only, allowed to manage categories and groups but unable to impersonate or change ownership?