Changing email addresses not working as an Admin

Sorry to resurrect this, but how do I do this? I’m one of the admins who has zero clue about anything and doesn’t understand tech stuff so I apologise in advance for my ignorance!

I’ve had some members ask me to do this, and I couldn’t even do it for myself when I tried the other day. I definitely want to be the only one who can change member emails, not members themselves.

I’ve tried to follow the steps in this thread but I haven’t been able to figure it out. Would anyone have the time or spoons to handhold me though this process?

2 Likes

I think this is the setting you want - it is in admin - site settings (in users section, but you can find it with the settings filter)

5 Likes

Thank you so much!

I want to be the only person able to edit emails, but going forward I will just quickly enable this setting, edit, and then disable it.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand - if you don’t want users to be able to edit their email addresses after sign-up, then just leave it disabled. Admins are always able to edit email addresses even if that setting is disabled (it doesn’t apply to Admins).

4 Likes

I can’t edit anyone’s email, even my own, without enabling that setting.

2 Likes

Something isn’t right then. As an Admin you can always change email addresses. Are you using SSO?

5 Likes

My apologies, but I don’t know what that is.

1 Like

How do I edit the address in that case?
While I can see the wrench if email_editable is enabled, I cannot see it after disabling the setting.

I cannot find the option on the user’s admin page either. There is only a link to the preferences.

4 Likes

Bumping this!

Hi @Isla we are currently looking into this more closely and will update this topic. It appears you were correct that the setting needs to be disabled then re-enabled after the admin makes the change. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding with this - we do usually have admin overrides on most settings like this, but sometimes there may be legitimate reasons not to that we need to consider.

SSO is Single Sign On, which may be one of the reasons that setting is configured the way it is.

4 Likes

Thank you so much, Lilly. I really appreciate it.

1 Like