Changing Email Associated With Notifications

A member of my community asked if they could have email notifications go to a new address rather than the one they use for their Discourse account. Can they do this or can we do this as admin?

They can change their address to the “new” address. If they want some Discourse mail to go to one address and other discourse mail to go to another address, then they can create a filter and forward the notifications to the other account.

How can they do this? Can they keep their current email associated with their Discourse account and provide a new address for email notifications to be sent to?

They want all email notifications sent to a new address. The use case is that they sign into our Discourse with their school email, but want notifications sent to a separate email address. I am guessing that what you suggest here would happen within their email service (Ex: gmail), right?

This is not possible at the current time.

3 Likes

Sounds like exactly what the school doesn’t want them to do. :slight_smile: (In a former life I did educational technology research in schools, so I was once familiar with such rules in several districts.)

Right. They’d set up a filter in their school email to forward the notifications to the other address . . . if whoever manages the domain hasn’t disabled that feature.

3 Likes

Multiple email addresses per user are now supported in Discourse, but you can’t pick one email address to get special treatment or anything.