Cheapest way to run Discourse?

hello,
What is the cheapest way to run a discourse forum with custom domain?
Hosting (DO/etc) ~15/month + smtp (mailgun/etc) ~15/month.
Why is discourse hosting 100/month?
Thanks

Discourse can still run on a 1gb memory server, which is about $7 a month with DO/digital ocean.

If you’re sending less than 1,000 e-mails a month with mailgun then that is free. Alternative free smtp sender is Brevo.

With discourse hosting you have team support + discourse mail.

In addition you will have domain registration fees.

There are some other less expensive server options, believe Hetzner may be one of the lowest cost ones in Germany.

Probably about $2 u.s.d. a month might be the minimum but there may be even less expensive servers than that in Indonesia or The Philippines.

3 Likes

oh mailgun works with free version?
I must have it configured wrong… sorry

For our hosting, the Basic plan currently starts at $50 a month, though Standard is $100/mth.

Managed hosting suits a lot of people who don’t want the hassle of manual installation and updates. The level of support you get (from the team who build the software, no less) is also something of a draw. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You have to contact support to downgrade to “flex” billing option, which WILL bill you if there are more than 1,000 e-mails sent a month but no bill for less mail than that.

Standard account is $35 a month.

1 Like

I appreciate that.
But 50 extra for custom domain?

This is how to make the free version “work”?
I get to congratulations you installed discourse, but don’t receive email.

The different plans have an increasing range of supported features, so not just that particular one. You can check out what’s available on each plan here:

Though self-hosting is also an option. :+1:

2 Likes

There is a guide for troubleshooting here:

Would recommend opening help ticket with your mail sender to diagnose problem.

1 Like