Christmas hats component

theme-component

(Barry van Oudtshoorn) #1

As Christmas approaches, you may want to add a bit of festive flair to your forum. So I present a (very simple) Christmas hats theme:

image image

Github repository

https://github.com/hnb-ku/discourse-christmas-hats

Demo:
https://theme-creator.discourse.org/theme/Johani/christmas-hats
navigate to the latest / top pages or visit a topic page

A couple of notes:

• This theme assumes list avatars are 25x25 with a 2px border all round; you may need to tweak some of the positioning in the CSS for your avatars.
  • It also assumes that thread avatars are 64x64 with a 2px border all round; again, tweak the positioning as you see fit.
  • To avoid excessive festiveness, not all avatars in lists will be bedecked with Christmas cheer, but once you open up a thread, everyone is part of the fun.

Enjoy!

(Aside: it looks like I wasn’t the first to think of this!)

How do I install a Theme or Theme Component?
(Tumi) #2

how to “install” it?

(Barry van Oudtshoorn) #3

:wink:

Is it possible to add only hats to my current themes?

(Barry van Oudtshoorn) #5

Yep! You can add it as a “theme component” to your existing themes. This is how I’m using it.

Works like a charm, thank you!

(Pad Pors) #7

is it possible to put the hat on a especial user? or on users of a especial group?

(Stephen) #9

Is it still possible to use .dcstyle.json for components? If not we should get this fixed ASAP - Christmas hats all round!

(Joe) #10

Yes, that’s still the format you get when you export a theme / component from the admin. There are two options to get this component up to date.

1. directly edit the file to add the component flag.
  2. import the component, convert it, then export it again.

Either of those options will work to ensure that the component gets imported as a… well… component.

(Jason) #11

this is a great component. i was wondering, is there a way to add turkey wings to the profile pictures for thanksgiving?

(Stephen) #12

Sure, just prepare a PNG or gif with transparency, upload it and alter the CSS so that it refers to your image.