Chrome saved fields cover search suggestions

Is it possible to disable the chrome saved fields / saved form information for individual fields?

In this example I have previously searched for the term moderator and moderators in this field, so Chrome is suggesting these options. It completely covers up the suggestions that are underneath it, until I finish typing out the entire name:

I really only want to see the suggestions from Discourse itself.

Another example that better shows how it’s covered up:

These screenshots are when adding another user to a private message.

thanks!

9 Likes

I’ve had this happen when searching the forum lately as well, which is annoying for the same reason.

3 Likes

Annoying I agree with this.

1 Like

Usually I add an autocomplete=discourse for these, when you right click what is autocomplete on the field?

1 Like

autocomplete="discourse" :frowning:

Why’s Chrome always gotta be messing this up? :confused:

I’ve been reading all these comments about this issue for the last 20 minutes, and it hasn’t improved my mood. One comment mentions that setting a name attribute helps, but of course those kinds of workarounds shouldn’t be necessary…

2 Likes

You think that has not improved your mood … check this one out!

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=587466

Up to comment 481 and going strong…

6 Likes

It happens in Microsoft Edge too. I’d like to assume that all Chromium-based browsers are affected.

1 Like

Yeah, the “bug” appears to be in Chromium itself, not specific to Chrome. I spoke with someone yesterday who has seen this (on other websites) in Brave, which is also Chromium based.

Someone should try testing this on Firefox (which isn’t Chromium-based).

The “bug” definitely affects all Chromium-based browsers. Here’s an image of another Chromium-based browser (Opera GX).

2 Likes

I agree it’s weird and I can actually kinda see both sides of this issue. There’s no good answer, but any feedback here should definitely be directed to Google, not us!

1 Like

Honestly, now that Microsoft is making regular contributions to Chromium, I wonder if we complain to them enough, maybe they’ll get Google to accept a contribution adding a user setting for it. Because clearly users complaining to Google over several years hasn’t made a difference.

6 Likes

Try complaining to both Google and Microsoft.

1 Like

I don’t think anything changed on my end other than Chrome updating itself (i.e. I haven’t cleared any saved forms/browser data)…but I’m no longer experiencing this issue!

Yeah, not sure what to do about this as we have no control over it…

We think this “bug” is fixed, either with autocomplete=off or autocomplete=Discourse … can you confirm @BOUCUR ?

See my latest reply to the topic. I didn’t see an option to mark as resolved but this can probably be closed.

3 Likes