Cloudflare R2: Navigating Setup and Handling Configuration Errors

That line is not indented properly. It should have 2 spaces exactly like after_code

Is this a problem? because some settings start without spaces. and when I compile it doesn’t give any error. Example:

That all looks fine. What does the after_assets_precompile part that I asked about look like?

You need to insert two spaces in front of “after_assets_precompile”.

2 Likes

I will do this and let you know. Thank you so much for your time <3

1 Like

When I apply this, it gives the following error and it does not load, the site cannot be reached:

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && sudo -E -u discourse bundle exec rake s3:upload_assets failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 4803 exit 1>
Location of failure: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/pups-1.2.1/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:132:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "cmd"=>["sudo -E -u discourse bundle exec rake s3:upload_assets", "sudo -E -u discourse bundle exec rake s3:expire_missing_assets"]}
bootstrap failed with exit code 1
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.

./discourse-doctor I ran this, then recompiled, got the same error.

When I enter the container and run the following codes, I get an error:

rake uploads:migrate_to_s3

Error:

rake uploads:migrate_to_s3 --trace
Plugin name is 'DiscourseMatheditor', but plugin directory is named 'discourse-matheditor'
Plugin name is 'discourse-post-voting', but plugin directory is named 'discourse-question-answer'
Plugin name is 'discourse-topic-voting', but plugin directory is named 'discourse-voting'
** Invoke uploads:migrate_to_s3 (first_time)
** Invoke environment (first_time)
** Execute environment
** Execute uploads:migrate_to_s3
Please note that migrating to S3 is currently not reversible!
[CTRL+c] to cancel, [ENTER] to continue

Migrating uploads to S3 for 'default'...
Some uploads were not migrated to the new scheme. Running the migration, this may take a while...
rake aborted!
FileStore::ToS3MigrationError: Some uploads could not be migrated to the new scheme. You need to fix this manually. (FileStore::ToS3MigrationError)
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_store/to_s3_migration.rb:156:in `migrate_to_s3'
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_store/to_s3_migration.rb:59:in `migrate'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/uploads.rake:126:in `migrate_to_s3'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/uploads.rake:106:in `block in migrate_to_s3_all_sites'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rails_multisite-6.0.0/lib/rails_multisite/connection_management/null_instance.rb:49:in `with_connection'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rails_multisite-6.0.0/lib/rails_multisite/connection_management/null_instance.rb:36:in `each_connection'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rails_multisite-6.0.0/lib/rails_multisite/connection_management.rb:21:in `each_connection'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/uploads.rake:104:in `migrate_to_s3_all_sites'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/uploads.rake:100:in `block in <main>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:281:in `block in execute'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:281:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:281:in `execute'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:219:in `block in invoke_with_call_chain'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:199:in `synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:199:in `invoke_with_call_chain'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:188:in `invoke'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:188:in `invoke_task'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:138:in `block (2 levels) in top_level'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:138:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:138:in `block in top_level'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:147:in `run_with_threads'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:132:in `top_level'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:83:in `block in run'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:214:in `standard_exception_handling'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:80:in `run'
bin/rake:13:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:58:in `load'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:58:in `kernel_load'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:23:in `run'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/cli.rb:451:in `exec'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/command.rb:28:in `run'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/invocation.rb:127:in `invoke_command'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor.rb:527:in `dispatch'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/cli.rb:34:in `dispatch'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/base.rb:584:in `start'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/cli.rb:28:in `start'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/exe/bundle:28:in `block in <top (required)>'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/friendly_errors.rb:117:in `with_friendly_errors'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/exe/bundle:20:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:25:in `load'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:25:in `<main>'
Tasks: TOP => uploads:migrate_to_s3

Some similar unresolved issues:

Do any of the other topics you mentioned happen to have instructions for finishing the uploads manually?

That’s just the final fail layer, the actual errors from that would be farther up as it mentions:

1 Like

No I did not see. However, there must be a reason why it doesn’t add it after compilation and we should be able to see this error. Maybe I can take a look if it is stated how to see this.

I wanted to try again. I added the necessary S3 connections to app.yml and recomplied them. this time, i removed after_assets_precompile. All urls changed to cdn and style files were not loaded. When I manually enter the container and try it: rake s3:upload_assets, I get the following error.

Attempting to apply ASSETS S3 CORS ruleset in bucket cloudflarebucketname.
rake aborted!
Aws::S3::Errors::AccessDenied: Access Denied (Aws::S3::Errors::AccessDenied)

If I try this: rake uploads:migrate_to_s3 --trace

The error I got:

Migrating uploads to S3 for 'default'...
Some uploads were not migrated to the new scheme. Running the migration, this may take a while...
rake aborted!
FileStore::ToS3MigrationError: Some uploads could not be migrated to the new scheme. You need to fix this manually. (FileStore::ToS3MigrationError)

All error message for “rake s3:upload_assets”:

root@domain-app:/var/www/discourse# rake s3:upload_assets --trace
Plugin name is 'DiscourseMatheditor', but plugin directory is named 'discourse-matheditor'
Plugin name is 'discourse-post-voting', but plugin directory is named 'discourse-question-answer'
Plugin name is 'discourse-topic-voting', but plugin directory is named 'discourse-voting'
** Invoke s3:upload_assets (first_time)
** Execute environment
** Invoke s3:ensure_cors_rules (first_time)
** Invoke environment
** Execute s3:ensure_cors_rules
Installing CORS rules...
Attempting to apply ASSETS S3 CORS ruleset in bucket cloudflarebucketname.
rake aborted!
Aws::S3::Errors::AccessDenied: Access Denied (Aws::S3::Errors::AccessDenied)
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-core-3.191.3/lib/seahorse/client/plugins/raise_response_errors.rb:17:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-s3-1.143.0/lib/aws-sdk-s3/plugins/sse_cpk.rb:24:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-s3-1.143.0/lib/aws-sdk-s3/plugins/dualstack.rb:21:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-s3-1.143.0/lib/aws-sdk-s3/plugins/accelerate.rb:43:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-core-3.191.3/lib/aws-sdk-core/plugins/checksum_algorithm.rb:111:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-core-3.191.3/lib/aws-sdk-core/plugins/jsonvalue_converter.rb:16:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-core-3.191.3/lib/aws-sdk-core/plugins/idempotency_token.rb:19:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-core-3.191.3/lib/aws-sdk-core/plugins/param_converter.rb:26:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-core-3.191.3/lib/seahorse/client/plugins/request_callback.rb:89:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-core-3.191.3/lib/aws-sdk-core/plugins/response_paging.rb:12:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-core-3.191.3/lib/seahorse/client/plugins/response_target.rb:24:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-core-3.191.3/lib/seahorse/client/request.rb:72:in `send_request'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/aws-sdk-s3-1.143.0/lib/aws-sdk-s3/client.rb:5424:in `get_bucket_cors'
/var/www/discourse/lib/s3_helper.rb:385:in `fetch_bucket_cors_rules'
/var/www/discourse/lib/s3_helper.rb:166:in `ensure_cors!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/s3_cors_rulesets.rb:60:in `sync'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/s3.rake:184:in `block in <main>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:281:in `block in execute'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:281:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:281:in `execute'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:219:in `block in invoke_with_call_chain'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:199:in `synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:199:in `invoke_with_call_chain'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:243:in `block in invoke_prerequisites'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:241:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:241:in `invoke_prerequisites'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:218:in `block in invoke_with_call_chain'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/task.rb:188:in `invoke'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:188:in `invoke_task'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:138:in `block (2 levels) in top_level'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:138:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:138:in `block in top_level'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:147:in `run_with_threads'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:132:in `top_level'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:83:in `block in run'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:214:in `standard_exception_handling'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.2.1/lib/rake/application.rb:80:in `run'
bin/rake:13:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:58:in `load'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:58:in `kernel_load'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:23:in `run'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/cli.rb:451:in `exec'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/command.rb:28:in `run'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/invocation.rb:127:in `invoke_command'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor.rb:527:in `dispatch'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/cli.rb:34:in `dispatch'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/base.rb:584:in `start'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/cli.rb:28:in `start'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/exe/bundle:28:in `block in <top (required)>'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/lib/bundler/friendly_errors.rb:117:in `with_friendly_errors'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.5.3/exe/bundle:20:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:25:in `load'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:25:in `<main>'
Tasks: TOP => s3:upload_assets => s3:ensure_cors_rules

It’s hard to get out of this situation.

Something tells me that the S3 codes run after compilation only support Amazon S3. What are you thinking?

It works for me. There’s a setting to skip the cors rules, I think. You might look at Configure an S3 compatible object storage provider for uploads to see what it is.

this?: DISCOURSE_S3_INSTALL_CORS_RULE: false

This worked great, but there is one problem. theme-javascripts files are not uploaded to S3. Naturally, the design of the site is damaged. Only the assets folder is loaded. What can we do to upload other design files?

This is the last time I’ll tell you that your include the part that calls the rake task to upload to s3.

Good luck.

1 Like

What am I missing? The code below is attached and when I rebuild it loads the assets files but not the theme files.

When I run this by entering the container: rake uploads:migrate_to_s3 I get the following error:

Updating the URLs in the database...
Removing old optimized images...
Flagging all posts containing lightboxes for rebake...
1001 posts were flagged for a rebake
rake aborted!
FileStore::ToS3MigrationError: 9 of 3769 uploads are not migrated to S3. S3 migration failed for db 'default'. (FileStore::ToS3MigrationError)

My app.yml file is as follows. I turned off this setting because it did not upload the theme-javascripts and stylesheets: DISCOURSE_CDN_URL.

I’ll try to open it again at midnight and compile it, but I don’t know what I missed. I searched to see what else you might mean by this, but I couldn’t find anything different: “the rake task to upload to s3”

DISCOURSE_USE_S3: true
  DISCOURSE_S3_REGION: 'auto'
  DISCOURSE_S3_ENDPOINT: 'https://xxxxx.eu.r2.cloudflarestorage.com'
  DISCOURSE_S3_ACCESS_KEY_ID: 'xxxxx'
  DISCOURSE_S3_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY: 'xxxxx'
  DISCOURSE_S3_CDN_URL: 'https://cdn.xxxxx.com'
  #DISCOURSE_CDN_URL: 'https://cdn.xxxxx.com'
  DISCOURSE_S3_BUCKET: 'cloudflarer2xxxxx'
  #DISCOURSE_S3_BACKUP_BUCKET: 'cloudflarer2xxxxxbackups'
  #DISCOURSE_BACKUP_LOCATION: 's3'
  DISCOURSE_INCLUDE_S3_UPLOADS_IN_BACKUPS: true
  DISCOURSE_S3_INSTALL_CORS_RULE: false

I’m sorry I wasted your time, but it would be nice if the user documentation included these issues. Now we know that r2 works. Just add the following two settings:

DISCOURSE_S3_REGION: 'auto'
DISCOURSE_S3_INSTALL_CORS_RULE: false

We can move the images and assets folder on the site to the S3 area. There is only the problem that the theme files and style files are not transferred and I will try it again at midnight. I hope I will be successful and I will mark this issue as solved, of course, after explaining the solution.

Note: Postgresql server is separate, I do not use the one on localhost. I guess there is no problem with this.
Thank you to everyone who took the time.

That is the command to run to upload assets. My guess is that you still have something wrong that’s keeping assets from grin uploaded.

1 Like

Good, if I’m not doing anything wrong then I need to find the problem. When I enter the container and run the “rake s3:upload_assets” code, everything seems fine. Even if I turn this setting on or off, it does not load the style files (theme-javascripts and stylesheets): “DISCOURSE_CDN_URL: ‘https://cdn.xxxxx.com’”.

rake s3:upload_assets --trace
** Invoke s3:upload_assets (first_time)
** Execute environment
** Invoke s3:ensure_cors_rules (first_time)
** Invoke environment
** Execute s3:ensure_cors_rules
Installing CORS rules...
skipping
** Execute s3:upload_assets Skipping: assets/break_string-cc617154cd04790e.js

As I said, if I’m not doing something wrong, I try to find the error and how to fix it. If there is any improvement, I will add it here, thank you.