Collapse multiple badge notifications into one

The meta category in a forum I am in was made open to everyone after initially only being accessible to TL1+. I frequent that category, meta discussion is interesting to me. My posts have gotten a good amount of likes, just enough to earn badges if it were public before.

And I have more notifications for badges than that. Earning the same badge several times notification should be collapsed into a single one and say Earned '{badge_name}' (xN) where N is the amount of times that badge was earned.

I’ve given feedback to that forum through the meta category to disable earning badges before making another category public, or silently award the badge, but merging duplicate notifications into 1 should be the ux anyway.

6 Likes

We do collapse likes in this manner but not badges.

1 Like

That’s alot of badges! Is it possible that an admin on that site lowered the number of likes required to be awarded those badges, so it is awarding them more often?

Oh, I see. The category was just made public, resulting in you being awarded for many at once. That sounds to me like a rare fluke occurrence that does not need a systematic response.

2 Likes

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I’m wondering if the issue here is not that the Good Reply badge was granted multiple times but that the notification for the badge was sent multiple times? This is an issue that’s come up a few times when handling support requests. It’s tricky to debug, but it seems that notifications for a badge will continue to be sent until one of the notifications is marked as read. If that is correct, does having a badge notification marked as read require the user to visit the badge’s page? That seems to be what’s happening here:

I could be totally off-base on this, but today is the second time I’ve tried to track down the cause of the issue.

3 Likes

I would really love this — it would solve the biggest problem with my Fedora Badges integration project. How hard would it be to do the same thing as done for likes for badge awards?

2 Likes

Hard for me to say off the top of my head, but probably not too hard. @Roman_Rizzi how complicated would it be to integrate this kind of stuff into badge notifications?

3 Likes

I would still like this, but I also wanted to update: the new split notifications menu makes this less of a pressing issue.

1 Like

Sometimes I will have multiple links earn a badge between visits to our forum:

The image shows a list of notifications where 'Popular Link' achievements have been earned multiple times and a 'Hot Link' achievement has been earned once, with some content obscured by a black censor bar. (Captioned by AI)

Even though each Popular Link notification goes to the same place, clicking one of them doesn’t mark the rest of them as read. I think it should.

I don’t always want to use the Dismiss All button as sometimes there are other notifications I still want to review.

2 Likes

Better still, the notifications could be bunched together to, so your example could read

• Earned “Popular Link” (3x)
  • Glarble barble!

• Earned “Popular Link” (2x)
  • Earned “Hot link”

instead. That’d make the “click one to mark all read” interaction more understandable as you only need to click on one item.

3 Likes

@joellabes I’ve slipped your topic over to this one to keep the requests grouped together as I think rolling them up into one notification the same as Likes/Reactions where possible would be a lot neater too, and would also be a practical way of making sure you don’t have multiple unread ones pointing to the same place.

3 Likes

Agreed this is a much better solution!

2 Likes