We’re looking at building a set of european colocated servers for 2018, and I wonder if anyone has any advice on that. Here are our requirements:
- Full locked rack rental (42u) at a secured datacenter
- Bandwidth cost?
- Power cost?
- Contracting with a reliable EU company to buy and build the SuperMicro hardware we prefer, and ship to the datacenter
- Contracting with a reliable local company, near the datacenter, to install the hardware and maintain it
I did look at Hetzner colocation and the pricing seems fine for the racks themselves, but I am unclear how I can
- Buy the supermicro hardware in Europe, have it built up to our specs (it’s all commonly available hardware, nothing custom or unusual), then delivered to the datacenter.
- Have a reliable local company rack and wire the hardware at the datacenter.
- Have “remote hands” as needed if anything needs replacement or fixing or tweaking.
Also, it’s possible we could use an individual to do the racking and installation, if the supermicro servers are built to our specifications. But I worry about relying on a single person versus an organization over time.