Does it make any sense to colocate your own hardware for running a single Discourse instance?

faq-material

(Anton) #1

Are there any preconditions for running a single Discourse instance on your own hardware (colocation), rather than renting a VPS (e.g. Digital Ocean) or a dedicated server (e.g. Softlayer or Hetzner)?

I’ve never had an experience managing my own server hardware, but from what I read, you need direct access to the premises for maintenance tasks like the following:

• SSD / HDD replacement when they fail
  • hard reset if not available as a service
  • other tasks?

Does it worth the effort, or it is mostly a rigmarole for most communities, except very huge ones? Is there any community size that would make it worth the effort?

For example, a small community like ours with 2300 members and 200k-500k views per month runs smoothly on a $20/mo VPS + $10/100GB/mo Block Storage at Digital Ocean. In 2 years time, I’m likely to get even better hardware at Digital Ocean for the same money. Yet, if we do calculations for 2 years, it is $30 / mo * 24 = as little as $720 expenses. If we go the colocation way, just colocating might cost us ~$80 AUD / month, plus the price of the server hardware to colocate. Plus hardware replacement on failures. Looks like it is not worth the effort and the money invested AT ALL. But I might be mistaken — anyone can give any insight and advice?

This question is addressed to the ones who have experience colocating their own servers. Comments from the Discourse team are very welcome too!

(Matt Palmer) #2

@codinghorror has done it – stuffed a little shuttle PC into a rack somewhere. I’m having trouble finding a write-up of it, though. It’s pretty darn cheap to do, although you’re basically saving money by increasing your risk and hassle factor, so whether it’s “worth it” is a very personal decision.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

I never actually wrote that up formally…

:mega: Overall, colocation is only worth it if you have a pretty big, heavy, active Discourse instance – I’ve seen it be worth it for sites with very large 10GB + databases of posts dating back to 2003, for example.

If your site is small or only moderately active, $20/month (or less) is going to be a better deal, because that’s only $240/year. You can’t get much hardware for $240, even $480.

If you can find a place to cheaply colocate a ~$700 mini-pc – think the Mac Mini colocation services, but extended to cheaper hardware – I do think it’s worth it, bearing in mind the caveat above, this is only proper for fairly large, active Discourse sites. I would not bother colocating very low end hardware, when you can get a very fast Kaby Lake box with nice SSD for $700. Once the hardware is there, it will sit for years, so cheaping out in the beginning is like … cursing yourself. :mage: It’s not a good idea.

The other advantage is that the performance / storage speed of these mini-pcs is really quite high relative to the average $20/month cloud instance. But again that won’t matter a lot unless your instance is large or busy, or both!

Some ideas:

• Colocate two boxes, so if one fails, you can just switch to the other one. Kind of a warm spare sort of thing. Upload the latest backup (obviously stored off-site on S3 or what have you) and you only lose 1 day of activity. But you’d be up and running within an hour, probably?

• Colocate with a company that rents out their own stable of hardware servers, then if you have a fail, you’re only paying for them to switch out the box from their stable of existing hardware. Maximum downtime, probably a few hours. Cost per month will be higher though, but hey, no $700 (or $1500) up front investment! Trade-offs, they abound!

• Buy two boxes, have the colocation center keep one on-hand. This way you can avoid any monthly costs as the other box won’t be connected to the Internet, just sitting nearby ready to spring into action when powered on; give the colocation center a call, swap the cables, power up and you’re back and running. Maximum downtime, a few hours, maybe?

• Buy two boxes, keep one at home primed, updated, and ready to ship. Maybe the datacenter won’t allow you to keep a spare on site? This way if one fails you can deliver the pre-built replacement to the datacenter fast, maybe fedex overnight. Maximum downtime, two-ish days?

I do feel that modern hardware is pretty darn reliable, provided you go with a quality SSD vendor – I heartily recommend Samsung based on our experience using them. But, as they say, :poop: happens. In general, you need to decide how OK you are with outage / downtime lengths. That’s what you are betting against here. For some sites, two days, or two hours, of downtime might not be a big deal.

You’d need to research and decide what your budget is vs. your risk tolerance… and your willingness to be a sysadmin on your own site.