Community Hall of Shame listing in admin panel

Discourse lists the top performing users very nicely in the Users view.

As and administrator however, I would like to see the worst performing users: flags, deleted messages, suspensions. This would be beneficial for evaluating a users track record when considering a suspension and to find find potential candidates for eternal banishment.

7 Likes

You can do that already: just click the column you want to sort on, click it again to change the sort order.

Edit: I’m wrong, you’re looking for other data like flags. My mistake.

2 Likes

I assume you envision this data only being available to mods and admins? If so, I support it. I definitely wouldn’t want any form of “hall of shame” visible to the public.

I’d add it as a new menu item here, with the stats you mentioned:

I have a strong suspicion our “Something Else” report has resulted in quite a few users unrightfully accumulating flags. This feature would help shed some light on that.

3 Likes

Yes, I obviously look at this from the Admin-Mod point of view, whose tasks are often related to misbehaving community members. Although I don’t see any problem having the negative metrics available for the public - actually quite the opposite.

If you are a troll, you deserve to be known as one. In effectively moderated forum the troll-baits are quickly flagged or moderated out of sight, so an unsuspecting user may not be aware that he is dealing with a person known for trolling or other bad behavior.

2 Likes

The data is usually quite thin:

• flags are rare on most Discourse instances
  • suspensions are quite rare on most Discourse instances
  • deleted posts may be a sign of forum cleanup more than “this person is bad”, though of the three listed it is probably the most abundant and therefore statistically reliable data point… but that’s not saying much in this company.

We did have something like this on Stack but honestly it was not hugely useful; if you worked on the site long enough you knew who the problem children were without needing to look at data.

1 Like

Well, basically adding a Flag count column to the Users view would be cheap and already very useful improvement.

There are no plans to do this for the forseeable future.

I have my doubts about how effective Scarlet A is.

In theory it makes some sense. People will see that another didn’t get away with doing something, so they’ll know better than to try it themselves.

In practice public discipline has mixed results. eg.
PHP-hater and Ruby-hater get into a discussion. What starts off well gets hot fast. Eventually one crosses the line and makes a personal attack on the other.

Staff edits out the HATE and asks them to please tone it down.

Sometimes they do, great!
Other times they’ll scream “censorship”, “freedom of speech”, “the world needs to know that someone on the internet was wrong”
And the public “message” will fail to get across to everyone, count on it.

I imagine pinning a big “this member is a Troll” on a member’s Profile would likewise cause varied reactions and prove to be just as ineffective.

On the other hand, for Moderators keeping a history on a member could be a good thing. eg.
the Staff Notes plugin where “this guy has been given 5 chances already. If he does it again give him a week off” note could save some grief.

It is possible for the Admin to do some witch hunting if they wanted to by querying the muted_users table to get an idea of how others feel.

1 Like