Configure Twitter login and rich embeds for Discourse

Hey all, sorry for my confusion, but is Twitter’s change to API meaning that user’s can’t use login with Twitter anymore unless we pay for the API?

If so, is there a way to see how many users are using this login feature to determine if we should keep it enabled? Otherwise we could disable login with Twitter?

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding, just got an email about the Twitter API, thanks for any help.

1 Like

Aaaand it’s broken for us again. We didn’t change any settings, but we did upgrade to 3.1.0.beta4. That upgrade could be unrelated but we don’t know. It could easily just be the Twitter API not working again.

I updated the guide.
Logins work, but Rich embeds don’t. However, links are still displayed in oneboxes nonetheless:

3 Likes

Saw the email summary got the idea but ignored it while changing and touching nothing and everything remains working, we don’t use the twitter log in, and only have this for the embeds, but enabled the twit login to test if it worked and it still worked fine.

I did that Elevated acc thing (pre-Musk takeover) a while back which was missing for the original tutorial iirc, what I see is a PROJECT > 2 apps and the V1.1 ACCESS & V2 ACCESS badges.

Maybe something will change and break this, but so far it continues to behave as expected.

I see the alert in the product for “new” titled “Twitter API v2”

Welp it was working when I recreated it, now I noticed today they no longer were and went to check and get a banner that now says

SUSPENDEDThis App has violated Twitter Rules and policies. As a result, it can no longer be accessed. For assistance, submit a [support ticket](https://help.twitter.com/forms/platform).

Edit: it’s working again after I recreated it…I guess I’ll see if it gets suspended again for whatever vague violation this was…

Maybe it’s because I have it set to Development and not Production?

Twitter is dying, have you figured it out?

Does this still hold true?

• Oneboxes stopped working for our CDCK instance a while back (Tappara.co)
  • Twitter had suspended our app, without any apparent reason
  • I created a fresh Project, App and reconfigured the keys to the instance
    • Twitter login seems to work
    • No oneboxes. Links to tweet appear as naked https:// URLs.
1 Like

Oneboxes also stopped working for me, but this theme component works great

Good question to which I don’t have the answer, but maybe someone has it.

If your Twitter app isn’t disabled by Twitter, it works:

I don’t know why Twitter apps are randomly disabled for violations of ToS as their emails don’t explain anything.

@Lhc_fl’s theme component seems to be a good alternative.

This is not valid for new apps, created on the v2.0 Twitter API free plan. Login works, oneboxes do not work.

The ones who got a random suspension are stuck with this too, as they need to create a new Project and App in Twitter.

Standalone apps can only use the API v1.1.

I created a project app that has access to v2, but their interface is confusing.

v1.1 access for a restricted set of existing endpoints that connect to the Twitter API. Apps without Projects are limited to this level.

But my app also has the tag v2:

v2 access are the newest endpoints that connect to the Twitter API. Only Apps that are within Projects can access these endpoints.

Now, I don’t know what API version my project app uses.

The only thing I know is that both login and oneboxes work.

And I think my other apps were disabled because with the free version, you can now have only 1 app, which means you can’t add Twitter login on multiple Discourse from the same Twitter dev account with the free plan.
This seems to be the “violation” I was informed about, even if it wasn’t explained.

Update: rich embeds, which allow embedding tweets and their media, work with the tutorial, and the guide has been updated.

In other words, everything’s repaired and should work on your side, as I tested myself today.

If your app is suspended by Twitter, check the number of apps you have on your developer account, as the free plan only allows 1 app.

If you happen to be hosted by Discourse, know you can have support from our team directly by messaging @team or sending an email at team@discourse.org. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not working here

2 Likes

Twitter logins are working, rich embeds not so much.

1 Like

This is the case and expected behavior for sites that have hooked to the Twitter v2.0 API free plan. It does not provide read access to content.

The sites that are still on the old v1.1 API and have not had their apps suspended, are still likely to get oneboxes (rich embeds).

Note: This 100% Twitter issue, and Discourse is not to blame.

1 Like

I get suspended so I’ll be forced to use the new api (because I was using development app or something).

That’s the way a couple of corporations take all the information on internet. It’s a crucial moment to move and I’m thinking about removing all Twitter and Reddit stuff on our instance.

That needs to be copied/edited/typed on our self-hosted Discourse forum but I think we will need to do that way if we want to really have the information.

Everything will be lost. By the way, could be great for us to still using the onebox for not break our lab and paying Twitter for that :slight_smile:

It was working for a few days when I went through all the tutorial steps but stopped working recently, and I have no clue why (404 error when trying to create the onebox). I added this information at the beginning of the guide.

Ugh, so frustrating…

Firstly, after successfully going through this previously (as many of you also have) now I can’t ‘create project’ - it just flash-refreshes, no matter what browser I use.

Above I see someone stating to delete the site and start over, but I don’t see where/how to do that

Finally was able to delete mine and start over, using tips above - we’ll see if it works again, so far it is not:

Hey :wave:

I just want to let you know that we’re aware Twitter’s oneboxes not displaying in some cases and working on it internally to figure out a solution. :slight_smile:

3 Likes