Configuring a CDN - massive rebake coming up?

(ljpp) #1

Continuing the discussion from Disable CDN causes old images with CDN URL can not be shown:

@zogstrip I may looking at a global rebake in the near future, and I have hundreds of thousands of posts. Unless CloudFlare fixes their stuff, I may be switching to KeyCDN or similar.

What does this low cpu method do, and how slow it actually is?

(Régis Hanol) #2

They’ll be rebaked in batches of 500 posts every hour or so instead of rebaking them all as fast as possible :wink:

(ljpp) #3

Okay, so we are looking at a month of throttled rebaking :smiley:

Then again, that is not so critical for Amazon S3 URLs, since the bucket URL will resolve ok, and rebaking would quietly replace the URLs to CDN version over time.

• Can one run this process in the background, start it and forget it?
  • Most likely it is interrupted by a Discourse update and/or reboot?

Maybe its better just to rebake the posts that match Amazon S3 URL…

(Sam Saffron) #4

You can just run a rebake in the console, in fact, if you are making such a drastic move I would strongly recommend you do that.

(Sam Saffron) #5

One moment here… your uploads are on S3? If so then your CDN is going to do nothing to help images unless you define an S3 CDN.

(ljpp) #6

Yes, if I am forced to go the CDN way, I will absolutely do that. Already tried this on a smaller community.

(ljpp) #7

Now rebaking at the rate of 200+ thousand messages per hour. Site is perfectly usable while churning, so not so bad after all.