Connection Timeout/Security Issue

Hey guys.

Attempting to install Discourse on Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS) x64. Nameservers and domain settings are good to go for both DigitalOcean and GoDaddy.

After installation, when I try to access the website, it gives me a connection timeout error OR an HTTPS security error. www.skuvault.social gives me something different.

Any idea what this could be? This has happened three times now - I have reinstalled it following Ubuntu 20.04 instructions, including all prerequisites. I feel like I am missing something very single.

Thank you!

You need to set that first record for www, not www.skuvault.social. If you use a DNS tester you’ll see that there’s no DNS record for www.skuvault.social, but there is one for www.skuvault.social.skuvault.social.

If you’ve run a bunch of rebuilds, your next issue will be that you hit let’s encrypt’s rate limit and your key is invalid. You’ll need to wait a week or follow Setting up Let’s Encrypt with Multiple Domains, which is a bit tricky.

5 Likes

Thank you. I have this now:

I’ve never heard of Let’s Encrypt. I’ve done this four (?) times I think now. I’ll check out that article. Will I need a separate domain for that, or can I configure it with my first? I could create a forum.skuvault.social subdomain, set the forum to that, then change it later, correct?

I’m trying to demo this for my company but I’m a noob, obviously, lol.

Thank you!

Let’s Encrypt provides you with a free certificate, which is how your site would be accessible via HTTPS after installation.

It’s possible that your re-installations have used up your 7 day issuance quota for skuvault.social. If that’s the case your only options would be:

• Run without HTTPS (bad, don’t do this)
  • Wait a week
  • Use a different domain for setup (this will create headaches down the line)
  • Purchase a certificate (don’t do this)
2 Likes

Alrighty, thank you. Does it apply one automatically? I skipped the Let’s Encrypt prompt when installing.

Yes, you don’t need to provide an email for Let’s Encrypt to be set up, you just won’t receive notifications of expirations. Discourse installs HTTPS as standard.

1 Like

Sweet, thank you. Looks like I’ll wait a week, then, and check back if it’s still dead. Appreciate you both!

1 Like

Still having issues. Any ideas?

Tempted to reinstall it yet again.

Thank you!

You did a

./launcher rebuild app

And saw no errors and your site still isn’t up?

1 Like

Ha. No, I didn’t do that. It’s working now. Thank you! People like you make this possible for noobs a like me!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.